Zelenskyy slams Henry Kissinger for emerging 'from the deep past' to suggest Ukraine cede territory to Russia
Henry Kissingersuggested on Monday that Ukrainehand over territory to Russiato secure peace.
- Before the invasion, Russia controlled Crimea and, informally, Ukraine's pro-Kremlin Donbas region.
Speaking at the World Economic Forum in Davos on Monday, Kissinger said Ukraine should return to the "status quo ante," a Latin phrase meaning how things were before.
By that, Kissinger implied that Ukraine should let Russia control Crimea, the peninsula it annexed in 2014, as well as informally rule the Donbas region through the pro-Kremlin factions that have occupied the region since 2014.
In an address on Wednesday, Zelenskyy derided Kissinger for his suggestion, saying the nonagenarian was emerging "from the deep past."
"It seems that Mr. Kissinger's calendar is not 2022, but 1938, and he thought he was talking to an audience not in Davos, but in Munich of that time," he said, referring to the appeasement of the Nazi Third Reich in Germany.
"By the way, in the real year 1938, when Mr. Kissinger's family was fleeing Nazi Germany, he was 15 years old, and he understood everything perfectly. And nobody heard from him then that it was necessary to adapt to the Nazis instead of fleeing them or fighting them."
In the same address, Zelenskyy also criticized The New York Times for a May 19 article published by its editorial board, which said the US should avoid engaging with the conflict given that domestic inflation was a more pressing issue.
"Symptomatic editorials began to appear in some Western media stating that Ukraine must allegedly accept so-called difficult compromises by giving up territory in exchange for peace," Zelenskyy said.
"Perhaps The New York Times in 1938 also wrote something similar. But now, let me remind you, it is 2022."
On Wednesday, Zelenskyy reiterated remarks that Ukraine wouldn't agree to peace until Russia agreed to return Crimea and the Donbas region to Ukraine.
Months before the Russian invasion began, Zelenskyy pledged to do all he could to return the peninsula to Ukraine.
Russian forces have in recent days made advances in the Donbas region, with Oleksandr Motuzyanyk, Ukraine's defense ministry spokesperson, saying on Tuesday that Russia's military had entered its "most active phase" of the war to date.
- Half of the listed companies in India are unsure about carbon emissions commitment: WTW report
- Nobody should go to sleep empty stomach, govt's duty to ensure foodgrains reach the last man, says India's apex court
- Rupee has fared relatively well in 2022 versus other emerging market peers: World Bank
- There is a universal pattern to swearing, across languages
- Are you effectively assessing the impact of marketplace management services?
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World