The list of most valuable sneakers with the highest resale value in 2019 is dominated by Nike
- The sneaker resale industry is booming and could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025, according to Cowen & Co. estimates.
- Rare and sought after pairs can increase in value over time.
- Online luxury consignment retailer The RealReal combed its data to find the top nine sneakers with the highest resale value in 2019.
- Sign up for Business Insider's retail newsletter, The Drive-Thru.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The sneaker resale business is huge.
According to Cowen & Co. estimates, the sneaker resale market could be worth $6 billion globally by 2025.
Sneakers on online marketplaces like StockX and Stadium Goods have resold for as high as $20,000. Sneaker resellers who have figured out the market are able to earn thousands of dollars in sales from reselling popular, hyped-up shoes. Business Insider recently interviewed a 27-year-old sneakerhead whose fleet of four stores earned $6.9 million in sales last year.
Online luxury consignment retailer The RealReal combed its data to find the top nine sneakers with the highest resale value in 2019. The Off-White and Nike collaboration with the Air Jordan 1 "Chicago" sneakers were one of the more popular shoes of the year, originally selling at
"Virgil Abloh's Off-White collaboration with Nike in 2017 permanently altered the sneaker landscape and resell market by catapulting sneakers to the forefront of the mainstream fashion consciousness as well as further blurring the lines between luxury and streetwear," said Amir Azarcon, a sneaker and streetwear expert with The RealReal.
Here are the nine most valuable sneakers of 2019 - listed in ascending order by percentage value increase - according to data from The RealReal, plus commentary from Azarcon.