White truffles are in short supply due to climate change and expanding wine production, and prices are skyrocketing to as much as $5,000 a pound
- White truffle prices are soaring to as much as $4,950, Bloomberg reports.
price hikesare due to climate changeand expanding vineyards taking over truffle habitats.
Your plate of pasta with
According to Bloomberg's Kate Krader, prices for white
Bloomberg reports that at specialty food distributor Chefs Warehouse, white truffles currently cost around $4,000 per pound. Truffle supplier Urbani Truffles is seeing prices around $4,500 per pound and at luxury foods retailer Regalis Foods, prices have jumped to $4,950 a pound for higher-end white truffles deemed "extra class."
Those prices are significantly higher than a few years ago: Vittorio Giordano, vice president of Urbani Truffles, told Bloomberg that the same truffles cost $1,100 or $1,200 per pound in 2019.
At restaurants, those price hikes will likely be handed down to the customer. One chef told Bloomberg he plans to raise the cost of a truffle pasta dish to $100 - another plans to raise the cost of a truffle, egg, and grits dish to $275, up from $175.
But truffles are also challenging to grow because they require a specific habitat - a habitat that is being threatened by climate change and deforestation. Since the 19th century, overall truffle production in France has decreased from 1,000 metric tons per season to just 30 metric tons, Insider reported.
John Magazino, director of national accounts at Chefs Warehouse, told Bloomberg that there's "a good chance there might not be white truffles in our lifetime."
"In my daughters' lifetime," he said, "I'm pretty sure they'll be extinct."
- Gautam Adani, the man who may soon be Asia's richest person, is a college dropout who survived the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks and says he was once kidnapped for ransom
- EY is offering scholarships to Indian college students worth ₹1 lakh with two months’ internship opportunity
- A man had severe, day-long migraines for 12 years and nothing worked. His doctors say they vanished after they prescribed leafy greens and cutting out red meat.
- Centre raises Bengal labour budget for creation of 27 cr man-days
- Over a million Ethereum tokens have been burned since the big upgrade, but transaction costs are still a pain point for the network
- Loaded Lion NFT sells for $1 million — three days after launching at $200
- McDonalds India launches a contemporary rendition and continuation story of memorable campaign ‘Hum dono boyfriend-girlfriend hai kya’
- India to resume scheduled international flights from December 15, says Aviation Ministry