SpaceX hopes to launch and land a new prototype of its Starship mega-rocket next week. The last 3 exploded.
- SpaceX is preparing to launch its new
Starshiprocket prototype in Texas, possibly on Monday.
- The last three prototypes exploded, but
SpaceXneeds to land Starship in one piece to reuse it.
- Schedule updates and livestream video feeds will be added to this story as they become available.
Starship launches have become a regular occurrence at SpaceX's rocket-development facilities in Boca Chica, Texas. For the second time this month, the company is preparing to fly an advanced prototype of its next spaceship. That could happen as early as Monday.
Called Starship serial No. 11, or SN11, the prototype is set to roar tens of thousands of feet into the air, shut off its engines, flip sideways, then freefall back to Earth. Four wing flaps should control the rocket's fall, and its engines should re-fire just in time to flip it upright and lower it to the landing pad.SpaceX has launched three such high-altitude test flights already, but each ended with a catastrophic
"Standing down SN11 until probably Monday," Musk tweeted Friday afternoon. "Additional checkouts are needed. Doing our best to land & fully recover."We will update this post once SpaceX confirms the launch date.
Watch the Starship prototype fly liveSpaceX is expected to broadcast the test flight live, as it did with the last three. That livestream will be embedded below once it becomes available. In the meantime, a few fans of the company are broadcasting from the launch facilities.
For a more distant view of the launch site - broadcast from the top of a resort in South Padre Island about 6 miles away - check out SPadre's 24-hour live feed.NASASpaceflight offers broadcasts with multiple high-quality camera views and input from a group of knowledgeable commentators. Their livestream will be embedded below once it's available.
- Chris Gayle appears four times in the top 10 list of most sixes hit in an IPL match
- Up-close and not so personal with Munnar’s pit vipers, gliding frogs and more
- Haryana government extends lockdown in the state till May 24
- UK's Cairn Energy identifies $70 billion Indian assets for seizing to recover amount due from government
- States to receive nearly 51 lakh COVID-19 vaccine doses in next three days, says Union Health Ministry