Starbucks is under fire for selling beverages with more sugar than Coca-Cola
About 98% of Starbucks' hot flavored drinks contain what UK action group Action on Sugar calls excessive levels of sugar per serving, according to tests of 131 drinks. More than a third contain more or equal sugar to a can of Coke.One of the biggest culprits is the seemingly innocuous Starbucks' Hot Mulled Fruit Grape with Chai, Orange and Cinnamon, which has 99 grams of sugar in a venti - the equivalent of adding 25 teaspoons of sugar to your cup of tea or coffee.
The more obviously sugary Venti White Chocolate Mocha with whipped cream contains 73.8 grams of sugar. Downsize to a non-fat grande, and ditch the whipped cream, and the drink still contains 58 grams of sugar - 232% of your daily recommended intake.The group defined excessive levels of sugars according to the UK's nutrition labeling criteria of more than 13.5 grams of sugar per serving or greater than 11.25 g per 100 ml.
"Earlier this year we committed to reduce added sugar in our indulgent drinks by 25% by the end of 2020," a Starbucks spokesperson told Action on Sugar. "We also offer a wide variety of lighter options, sugar-free syrups and sugar-free natural sweetener and we display all nutritional information in-store and online."Starbucks isn't the only massive chain that packs more sugar into its beverages than you may expect.
Chick-fil-A's medium sweet tea has 32 grams of sugar.
Sixteen-ounces of Jamba Juice's "Orange Dream Machine" smoothie contains a whopping 71 grams. Hollis Johnson
- Farmers' protest: Delhi government denies permission to police to use stadiums as temporary jails
- Adani completes ₹1,300 crore acquisition of Alipurduar Transmission from Kalpataru Power
- Chaos at Tikri border as protesters clash with police
- Five patients killed after fire breaks out at ICU of COVID hospital in Gujarat, PM Modi condoles deaths
- How Adtech is helping to optimize revenue streams to monetization content for media & advertising during this age of online boom post COVID-19