10 things you need to know before the opening bell
Sign up for Insider Investing for your weekly
Here's what you need to know before markets open.
1. Global stocks wobble and bitcoin keeps sliding. Investors are focusing on post-pandemic growth after reassuring comments from Fed speakers.
2. Mark Cuban says bitcoin is a better store of value than gold. The billionaire investor said the cryptocurrency is easier to transfer, trade and convert.
3. Shipping stocks have made triple-digit gains so far this year. Rising transport rates have prompted shares in sea carriers to soar.
4. A small oil driller has skyrocketed after becoming a meme stock. Torchlight surged 249% in six days after trending on Reddit.
5. The crypto industry has collected fines worth $2.5 billion since 2009. Most of the penalties were imposed in 2020, both on companies and individuals.
6. Earnings expected. No major companies are reporting today.
7. On the data docket. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell is due to testify in Congress.
8. Fintel is on the lookout for heavily shorted stocks that could be headed for a squeeze. The firm says these 5 under-the-radar companies could fit the bill given the Fed's more hawkish outlook.
9. 26-year-old Ricky Gutierrez is one of YouTube's biggest investing influencers, with nearly 1 million subscribers. He told us his top 3 strategies for trading blue-chip stocks like Twitter and Tesla.
10. An ex-Goldman trader breaks down why he is "salivating" to buy the dip in grain stocks. Tony Greer also shares 5 stocks and an ETF to play the commodity supercycle.
- Girish Mathrubootham, the son of a retired bank officer who built a $13 billion company in just 10 years
- A couple who traveled to 48 states in an RV share 17 things they would never go on a trip without
- The Taliban is bringing back executions and cutting off hands as punishment after retaking control of Afghanistan
- Ethereum’s scaling issues strike again as TIME Magazine’s NFTs sell for 30 times their price
- Best baby swing cradle and chair in India
- China's FUD drags down Bitcoin, Ether and other cryptocurrencies yet again
- The India Chapter of the International Advertising Association elects Megha Tata as its President for a second term
- The beer ‘cartel’ of Kingfisher, Budweiser and Carlsberg have to cough up ₹870 crore in fines