10 things you need to know before the opening bell
Welcome to 10 Things Before the Opening Bell. Sign up here to get the day's top stock and crypto news in your inbox every morning.
Sign up for Insider Investing for your weekly
Here's what you need to know before markets open.
1. Global stocks wobble and bitcoin keeps sliding. Investors are focusing on post-pandemic growth after reassuring comments from Fed speakers.
2. Mark Cuban says bitcoin is a better store of value than gold. The billionaire investor said the cryptocurrency is easier to transfer, trade and convert.
3. Shipping stocks have made triple-digit gains so far this year. Rising transport rates have prompted shares in sea carriers to soar.
4. A small oil driller has skyrocketed after becoming a meme stock. Torchlight surged 249% in six days after trending on Reddit.
5. The crypto industry has collected fines worth $2.5 billion since 2009. Most of the penalties were imposed in 2020, both on companies and individuals.
6. Earnings expected. No major companies are reporting today.
7. On the data docket. Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell is due to testify in Congress.
8. Fintel is on the lookout for heavily shorted stocks that could be headed for a squeeze. The firm says these 5 under-the-radar companies could fit the bill given the Fed's more hawkish outlook.
9. 26-year-old Ricky Gutierrez is one of YouTube's biggest investing influencers, with nearly 1 million subscribers. He told us his top 3 strategies for trading blue-chip stocks like Twitter and Tesla.
10. An ex-Goldman trader breaks down why he is "salivating" to buy the dip in grain stocks. Tony Greer also shares 5 stocks and an ETF to play the commodity supercycle.
- Amul hikes milk price by ₹2/ltr in Gujarat
- GST mop-up rises 13% to ₹1.6 lakh crore in March, second highest collection ever
- White House refuses to pay for Twitter's Blue verification: Report
- Italy bans ChatGPT, orders investigation over privacy breach
- IISc researchers design tiny supercapacitor capable of storing large amount of electric charge