Apple hits an all-time high as China and the US reach a phase one trade deal
AP Photo/Richard Drew
AP Photo/Richard Drew
- On Friday, the US and China reached a phase one trade deal that includes some relief from tariffs, such as doing away with a planned December 15 tax.
- Shares of Apple rose as much as 1.3% Friday to a new high.
- Apple would've been hit by the proposed December 15 tariffs, which would've added 15% to prices of some of its most popular products including the iPhone.
- Watch Apple trade live on Markets Insider.
Shares of Apple rose as much as 1.3% Friday to a fresh all-time record as China and the US reach a phase one trade deal that includes some tariff relief.With the agreement between the US and China, Apple has narrowly avoided a 15% tariff that would've been applied to some of its most popular products had a scheduled round of tariffs gone into effect on December 15.
Apple had been pushing back against the potential tariffs. In November, the company filed requests to be excluded from the December 15 round of tariffs, according to Bloomberg. Even President Trump said that he was looking into whether or not Apple should be exempt from the tax during a November visit to Apple's Texas facility.The company has a majority of its supply chain in China, including a main iPhone assembly plant in Zhengzhou that is responsible for producing half of the iPhones in the world.
If the increase in Apple's stock price holds through the end of trading Friday, it will mark a four-day streak of gains for the company. Earlier in the week, Apple was unseated as the world's most valuable company when its roughly $1.2 trillion market valuation was beaten by Saudi Aramco, which now has a market capitalization of more than $2 trillion.Apple is up 72% year-to-date through Thursday's close.
- Simply put, Airtel says all it now needs is spectrum to deliver 5G services at a speed of up to 900 Mbps
- India’s Prime Minister Narendra Modi may just have signalled a big allocation for defence equipment manufacturing, 3 days before the budget
- Haryana government extends suspension of mobile internet services in Sonipat, Jhajjar and Palwal till Friday
- Sourav Ganguly undergoes fresh angioplasty, two more stents implanted
- Google India to simplify Play Store policies for games people play on apps