Billionaire investor and Virgin Galactic chairman, Chamath Palihapitiya, discussed Bitcoin, climate change, and Silicon Valley in a recent interview. Here are the 8 best quotes
Chamath Palihapitiyaspoke about Bitcoin, climate change, and Silicon Valley's culture of embracing failure in a RealVision interview released on Friday.
- The Virgin Galactic chairman and
Social CapitalCEO also tackled topics such as social media, elite colleges, and virtual education.
- Scroll down for his eight best quotes from the interview.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Billionaire investor Chamath Palihapitiya discussed Bitcoin, climate change, and Silicon Valley culture in a RealVision interview filmed on November 16 and published on Friday.The Social Capital chief and Virgin Galactic chairman also spoke about the power of social media, criticized elite colleges, and called for changes to virtual education.
Here are his 8 best quotes from the interview, lightly edited and condensed for clarity:1. "There is a secret that is hiding in plain sight in Silicon Valley, which is that when you fail, you learn."
2. "Everybody else points and laughs and mocks failure. Whereas here, it is a real badge of honor."3. "You are much more likely to have The Rock, or Kim Kardashian, or Charli D'Amelio be the next great politician, than you are some person who is steeped in policy and who really understands what to do" – discussing how social media redistributes power and influence to those who can harness it.
6. "Pragmatist rhetoric is what will get your mother and your grandmother to have Bitcoin in their wallet" – suggesting demand for cryptocurrencies will be more widespread if they're pitched as hedges or part of a portfolio rather than the ultimate investment.
7. "Places like Harvard and Stanford are really corrosive. They are worthless. They have created a monoculture of check-boxing dipshits. They are money-management institutions that basically dole out power and influence based on acceptance and admittance that just entrench the moneyed class."Read More: 'I still think there's a long way to go': A crypto CEO breaks down why he's bullish on Bitcoin even after its surge back to $18,000 — and shares the other cryptocurrency he thinks is here to stay
8. "They should be getting paid more than an athlete" – calling for the best teachers to take on larger virtual classes while school remains closed and be paid a lot more.
- Insurance regulatory IRDAI gives in-principle approval for Bharti AXA-ICICI Lombard merger deal
- Arecibo Observatory is shutting down — here are some of the most groundbreaking discoveries it inspired, including one that led to a Nobel Prize
- PM to visit 3 vaccine centres in Ahmedabad, Pune & Hyderabad on Sat (Ld)
- India's GDP shrunk 7.5% in July-September — markets had feared much worse
- Oppo ColorOS 11 review — faster, lighter, better, but is it enough?