Coinbase valuation hits $77 billion as bitcoin soars past $51,000, report says
Coinbasehit a valuation of $77 billion last week, according to a report from Coindesk.
- The valuation is based off of trades from the Nasdaq Private Market, with Coinbase hitting $303 per share.
- At $77 billion, Coinbase is now bigger than Intercontinental Exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
The valuation is based off of trades last week on the Nasdaq Private Market, with Coinbase hitting $303 per share, sources told Coindesk. That's a sizable increase from its first week of
If the valuation holds once the cryptocurrency exchange goes public, it would make it bigger than Intercontinental Exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange.
The soaring valuation in Coinbase comes as
Bitcoin is up nearly 80% year-to-date.
The Nasdaq Private Market runs auctions in private companies that are on the verge of going public. The secondary market allows current and former employees, as well as early investors, to sell their shares in the company.
Just a tiny portion of Coinbase's shares outstanding are available to trade on the secondary market, meaning its valuation could vary once the company goes public later this year.
But according to Coindesk's source, "meaningful amounts" of shares have been exchanged in recent weeks, suggesting the valuation could hold.
"It's not like a handful of shares being exchanged at $300 a share. Each week it's tens of millions of dollars [worth], a pretty sizable amount," the source said.
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- OnlyFans star Riley Reid plans to 'immortalize' herself using AI. Here's how her team built her new chatbot.
- A boomer grandma advises on how to set boundaries with millennial kids when it comes to babysitting
- India's best relaxing holiday spots for peaceful retreats
- Inter-ministerial approval board can permit demarcation of non-processing area under IT sector SEZs
- Winter wellness: 10 Amla recipes to embrace this season
- ‘Confident’ Indians might splurge on big-ticket items in 2024
- Tata Power stock zooms ahead after brokerage on upgrade