Coinbase valuation hits $77 billion as bitcoin soars past $51,000, report says
Coinbasehit a valuation of $77 billion last week, according to a report from Coindesk.
- The valuation is based off of trades from the Nasdaq Private Market, with Coinbase hitting $303 per share.
- At $77 billion, Coinbase is now bigger than Intercontinental Exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
The valuation is based off of trades last week on the Nasdaq Private Market, with Coinbase hitting $303 per share, sources told Coindesk. That's a sizable increase from its first week of
If the valuation holds once the cryptocurrency exchange goes public, it would make it bigger than Intercontinental Exchange, which owns the New York Stock Exchange.
The soaring valuation in Coinbase comes as
Bitcoin is up nearly 80% year-to-date.
The Nasdaq Private Market runs auctions in private companies that are on the verge of going public. The secondary market allows current and former employees, as well as early investors, to sell their shares in the company.
Just a tiny portion of Coinbase's shares outstanding are available to trade on the secondary market, meaning its valuation could vary once the company goes public later this year.
But according to Coindesk's source, "meaningful amounts" of shares have been exchanged in recent weeks, suggesting the valuation could hold.
"It's not like a handful of shares being exchanged at $300 a share. Each week it's tens of millions of dollars [worth], a pretty sizable amount," the source said.
- I was working toward a promotion at Amazon when my manager started emailing me about needing coaching. Now I'm worried about losing my job.
- Google's head of mental health and wellbeing was among the 12,000 workers laid off by the tech giant
- Mercedes-Benz says it has achieved Level 3 automation, which requires less driver input, surpassing the self-driving capabilities of Tesla and other major US automakers
- Big screen effect: Of French beards, marketing case studies & littered tourist spots
- Grit, tears, joy: Novak Djokovic claims his 10th Australian Open crown, moves closer to ending the GOAT debate
- Manu Kumar Jain departs from Xiaomi, nearly a decade after working for the Chinese smartphone maker
- L&T reports ₹2,553 crore Q3 net profit, sees boost from major private capex investments
- Tech Mahindra’s Q3 net profit slips 5.2% on year to ₹1,297 crore