Dogecoin's $80 billion valuation now makes it bigger than these 10 well-known companies
- Dogecoin's 13,000% rally in 2021 has made the meme-based cryptocurrency worth $80 billion.
- These 10 well-known companies are now worth less than a shiba inu-inspired cryptocurrency.
- Sign up here for our daily newsletter, 10 Things Before the Opening Bell.
Dogecoin, a meme-inspired cryptocurrency that was started as a joke in 2013, is now worth $80 billion after a gravity-defying year-to-date rally of more than 13,000%, based off of Wednesday afternoon prices.
The rally in
Now, traders are bidding up Dogecoin even higher, potentially in anticipation of Musk's hosting of Saturday Night Live this weekend. Even some congressman have gotten in on the dogecoin craze, with house member Mark Green disclosing that he purchased the cryptocurrency earlier last month.
Dogecoin differs from bitcoin in that there is no hard limit on the total supply of coins. Bitcoin has a fixed supply of about 21 million coins, of which not all have been mined yet. Dogecoin on the other hand has more than 129 billion coins outstanding, with 5 billion in new coins hitting the supply every year.
Even the founder of dogecoin, Billy Markus, can't make sense of the surge in the coin he started as a joke. Markus told The Wall Street Journal in February, "The idea of dogecoin being worth 8 cents is the same as GameStop being worth $325, it doesn't make sense."
Markus sold all of his dogecoins in 2015 and used the proceeds to purchase a Honda Civic, as even he couldn't foresee the outsized influence a shiba dog would have on people's investment decisions.
Dogecoin's unlimited supply and the bewilderment of its founder hasn't stopped investors from piling into the meme token, making it now more valuable than these 10 well-known companies, based off of Wednesday afternoon prices.
Market Cap: $60.8 billion
Market Cap: $$68.0 billion
Market Cap: $68.2 billion
4. Activision Blizzard
Market Cap: $$69.4 billion
5. Norfolk Southern
Market Cap: $$72.4 billion
6. Dell Technologies
Market Cap: $75.0 billion
Market Cap: $75.8 billion
8. Duke Energy
Market Cap: $76.6 billion
9. CSX Corporation
Market Cap: $77.3 billion
10. General Motors
Market Cap: $78.8 billion
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon told wealthy clients there's a chance the US is heading into 'something worse' than a recession, report says
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- Here’s a list of stocks that can benefit from the festive season
- New Airtel and Reliance Jio prepaid plans compared
- Mobile accessories company Balaji Solutions files initial papers for public listing
- Ratan Tata launches Goodfellows which helps senior citizens make friends
- Rakesh Jhunjhunwala-backed Concord Biotech files for an IPO
- Ather 450X Gen 3 vs Ola S1 vs TVS iQube S – price, specs and features compared