Tech stocks slide with new earnings reports coming into focus
NasdaqComposite slipped from record-highs Tuesday.
- The S&P 500 was close to a record and the Dow industrials advanced.
- Tesla shares were under pressure and Microsoft was set to report after the bell.
The Nasdaq Composite was slightly lower after closing at a record high on Monday and the S&P 500 was edged up after also closing at a new record high Monday. Parcel delivery company UPS was among the those that turned in stronger-than-expected results for its first quarter.
But from the tech front, Tesla shares dropped following the release of the electric car maker first-quarter earnings report. The shares came under pressure from the lack of annual vehicle-delivery guidance. Its financial results met expectations.
Here's where US indexes stood at 4 p.m. on Tuesday:
- S&P 500: 4,186.57, down 0.03%
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: 33,982.82, up 0.01% (1.25points)
- Nasdaq Composite: 14,090.22, down 0.34%
Overall for earnings, Wall Street so far is seeing "pretty good growth year over year but that's against an easy base to beat, so to speak," Shawn Cruz, senior market strategist at TD Ameritrade, told Insider.
"What we're hearing from some of these companies on the guidance front is that they're actually not expecting margin growth, especially gross margin growth, to be very robust this year even though we're expected to have a pretty strong recovery in the economy as a whole and I think that is really causing some concerns for investors," he said.
Looking ahead to Wednesday, the Federal Reserve will conclude its meeting with a policy statement.
HSBC posted a 79% jump in profit for the first quarter.
Gold fell 0.2% to $1,775 per ounce. Long-dated US treasury yields rose, with the 10-year yield at 1.622%.
Bitcoin rose to $54,806.
- Kellyanne Conway says her husband was 'cheating by tweeting' his disdain for former President Trump in her new memoir
- The worst for Indian startups is yet to come — be prepared for layoffs, unicorn slowdown and startup shutdowns in 2022
- Not just India, many countries are protecting their wheat to keep daily bread, affordable
- Rising food prices made 62 new food billionaires and the dynasties could get richer this year
- Saudi Arabia bans citizens from flying to India due to re-emergence of Covid-19
- Healthtech platform MFine lays off more than 500 employees amid financial crunch
- GoodWill ransomware detected in India makes victim donate to poor, provides financial help to needy patients
- Xiaomi Band 7 launch set for May 24: Everything we know so far