The S&P 500 is vulnerable to a correction of up to 15% with tech-stock valuations at dot-com bubble levels, Morgan Stanley says
- The odds of a 15%
stock market correctionare rising, according to Morgan StanleyWealth Management's Lisa Shalett.
- The CIO noted that technology stocks that dominate the S&P 500 are at levels not seen since the peak of the
- The tech sector's profitability and earnings are vulnerable and could pose a risk to the broader market, she said.
The odds of a stock market correction of up to 15% are rising as lofty technology stock valuations leave the broader market vulnerable, according to Morgan Stanley Wealth Management's chief investment officer.
In a Monday note, Lisa Shalett highlighted how low rates have helped prop up
In addition, the tech sector now makes up a much larger weight in the S&P 500 than in 2000, and has subsequently driven the price to sales ratio of the benchmark index to a level 50% higher than it has ever been.
"The problem with this setup is that tech sector profitability and earnings are vulnerable," said Shalett. "While secular growth trends may support resilience against small changes in economic growth, the sector now faces unprecedented headwinds from rising input costs, a weaker US dollar, fiercer competition, higher taxes, stricter regulations and customer backlash."
If those headwinds come to fruition for the technology sector, the broader market will be at risk.
She noted that
"As we have noted for the past two months, the market continues to grind to all-time highs on narrowing breadth, while the narrative has also grown increasingly muddled. Thus, the risks of a correction are rising," she said.
The chief investment officer of wealth management told clients to focus on stock-picking using earnings fundamentals. She also said investors could consider adding to financials stocks as a value-oriented hedge to rising rates.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Trading app Public lists shiba inu coin on its trading platform as the Robinhood rival broadens crypto offerings
- Federal Bank is offering internships for fresh graduates — Check out stipend, incentives and other details
- IDBI Bank's net profit jumps 75% despite higher provisions
- Asian Paints' net profit drops 29% on high raw material prices
- Dearness allowance hiked to 31% for central government employees
- IAF aircraft Mirage 2000 crashes in Madhya Pradesh's Bhind district, pilot ejected safely
- Wunderman Thompson South Asia’s Tarun Rai moves into a new role as Executive Director Strategic Initiatives, APAC