US stocks flat as rollercoaster 2020 comes to a close
stocksopened mostly flat on Thursday morning to finish off a rollercoaster year for markets.
- Initial jobless claims declined by 19,000 to 787,000, beating the consensus estimate of 828,800.
- Watch major indexes update live here.
US stocks opened relatively flat on Thursday morning to finish off a rollercoaster year for markets.
The number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits for the first time dropped unexpectedly last week- the second straight week of declines. Initial jobless claims declined by 19,000 to 787,000. The consensus estimate was for jobless claims to rise to 828,800.
Meanwhile, continuing claims decreased to 5.22 million in the week that ended Dec.19. That's 150,000 less than the 5.37 million claims economists projected.
Here's where US indexes stood shortly after the 9:30 a.m. ET open on Thursday:
- S&P 500: 3,730.22, down 0.05%
- Dow Jones industrial average: 30,394.13, down 0.05% (15.43 points)
- Nasdaq composite: 12,872.23, up 0.02%
Several cryptocurrency exchanges including Crypto.com, Coinbase, and OkCoin said this week they were suspending trading of the XRP token following the SEC's complaint against Ripple Labs, XRP's developer.
"XRP (the coin) is one foot in the grave," Phil Liu, Chief Legal Officer at Arca, told Business Insider on Wednesday. "Ripple, the company, may be insolvent by the end of 2021 if it can't raise money by selling XRP and its other products aren't profitable."
Gold was up 0.43%, to $1,901.60 per ounce.
- Slice payments app spies on photos, audio records and call history, says Google
- More than $100,000 raised for loyal Burger King employee of 27 years in GoFundMe campaign after video shows him getting 'goody' bag as reward
- Tesla is laying off workers who only just started and withdrawing employment offers as Elon Musk's job cuts begin
- Towards a Greener Footprint: Prioritising Carbon-Neutrality Makes Good Businesses Sense! Are Indian Firms Making the Transition?
- Netflix confirms an ad supported tier is coming to its streaming service by year end
- Accenture, Cognizant could see revenue growth but a strong US dollar could spoil the party
- Kharif sowing is off to a weak start with extended dry spells and floods
- Best ladder for home use in India