9 traditional fields that are hiring more remote workers than ever
Phil Walter / Getty Images
- Remote job listings grew more than 50% in some unexpected fields last year, according to a FlexJobs report.
- Fields that saw high growth in remote work for 2018 included law, science, and project management.
It's no secret that remote work is on the rise. According to a 2017 telecommuting report by FlexJobs, the number of US employees who "worked from home at least half of the time" grew 115% in twelve years, from 1.8 million employees in 2005 to 3.9 million in 2017.
Employees are looking to work for companies with missions that reinforce their values, and "flexible schedules and work-from-home options" are increasingly a high priority for millennial employees in comparison to previous generations, according to Gallup.
As a result, organizations are having to shift how they manage and optimize performance, and remote jobs are expanding into a variety of unusual career fields that haven't seen this kind of work in the past.
According to FlexJobs, here are 10 career fields that you might not typically associate with working from home, but that saw remote job listings grow more than 50% from January 1, 2018 to December 1, 2018. FlexJobs defines a "remote job" as any profession that "allows the worker to work from home either entirely or part of the time." The fields are ranked from least growth to highest.
7. Project management
4. Mortgage and real estate
3. Nonprofit and philanthropy
1. Math and economics
- How India can create opportunities for its new-age farmers
- Akasa Air founder, big bull Rakesh Jhunjhunwala passes at 62
- SIMPLY PUT: What happened before India got Freedom@Midnight
- Here’s how much banks have increased home loan interest rates
- Avatar 2, Black Panther 2, Ant Man — Here is a complete list of Hollywood movies expected to hit Indian theaters in the next 6-7 months