Tense meetings, protesters, and a surprise arrival: 7 photos show just how the first days of the G7 Summit played out
- Leaders gathered in Biarritz, France for the G-7 Summit over the weekend to confront an array of global issues.
- The three-day summit was expected to be tense as trade policy, nuclear tension, and environmental concerns dominated headlines in the days leading up to the series of meetings.
- Protesters, leaders' spouses, and a surprise arrival made headlines while key meetings continued into the week.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
World leaders gathered in Biarritz, France for the G-7 Summit over the weekend to confront an array of global issues.The annual summit is taking place this year amid an escalating trade war between the US and China, Britain's planned exit from the European Union, and concern over fires that have devastated the Amazon rainforest in Brazil.Advertisement
See some of the highlights from the summit below:
UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau met Saturday for a one-on-one discussion.
French President Emmanuel Macron had lunch with President Donald Trump Saturday, where Trump boasted of his and Macron's "special relationship."Advertisement
Sunday's agenda included a roundtable meeting that was deemed a Working Session on the Global Economy, Foreign Policy, and Security Affairs.
As the meetings went on, French protesters took to nearby streets to slam Macron and demand more action on the climate emergency.Advertisement
On Sunday, world leaders' spouses were away from international tensions as they enjoyed a cultural tour of the Basque region, enjoying wine, lunch, and traditional performances.
Sunday afternoon brought a surprise arrival from Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, which appeared to be orchestrated by Macron.Advertisement
On Sunday night, the leaders gathered with their spouses and guests for a group photo.
- EXCLUSIVE: BYJU’s co-founder reveals that revenue has doubled to ₹2800 crore in a year — and that is just the start of a glorious run
- Ola Electric acquires Amsterdam-based EV startup Etergo – will now manufacture electric scooters in India
- Cognizant is reportedly planning to sack 400 in senior management — severance pay reduced to three months
- India has no plans of backing off as the India-China border in Galwan Valley is up for debate for the third time
- Marketing in the times of COVID-19: Acer