The top false claims Trump makes about trade
Jacquelyn Martin/AP Photo
- President Donald Trump repeatedly makes misleading and false claims about trade.
- Some of the top falsehoods portray trade as a zero-sum game and seek to minimize perceived costs.
- Trump says China pays US tariffs, for example, but there is a strong consensus that businesses and consumers bear the costs.
The Trump administration has raised valid concerns in its economic war with China, including what officials have found to be a system that allows intellectual-property theft and unfair state subsidies to companies.Yet when it comes to trade, President Donald Trump has been repeating falsehoods left and right. Here are some of the most popular ones.Advertisement
China pays US tariffs
Trade imbalances signal a weak economyAdvertisement
Tariffs make the US richer
- COVID death toll in Delhi mounts to 303 ; highest spike of 792 cases
- Schools in India should have menstrual awareness programme: Survey
- World Menstrual Hygiene Day: Ways to go sustainable
- Samsung's partnership with Benow will allow local stores to sell TVs and digital appliances online
- Arunachal govt equipped to handle possible spike in COVID-19 cases as more people return: Khandu