55 global airlines have completely stopped flying scheduled flights due to travel bans, airspace closures, and low demand for travel - see the full list
- Airlines the world over are seeing their wings clipped by travel bans, airspace closures, and low demand for travel.
- European, Asian, and Middle Eastern continue to restrict air travel and make operating flights impossible for some airlines.
- Most airlines are scheduled to resume operation in mid-April, with some not planning to take to the skies again until May or June.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Airlines around the world are choosing to ground flights rather than fly empty aircraft as the COVID-19 crisis continues to affect the skies, with some airlines being bound by a government mandate to stay grounded.Travel bans and airspace closures also have contributed to the temporary suspensions of over 50 airlines, ranging from global national carriers to small regional airlines. While demand for travel is already at a record low, airlines are struggling to find airports to land at with entire nations shutting down their borders in a desperate attempt to prevent an outbreak of the virus that has infected thousands and shown little regard for national boundaries. Advertisement
With air travel the primary means of the virus' spread, airlines are the first target of nations attempting to protect their citizenry.
European, Asian, and Middle Eastern countries primarily have seen their airlines temporarily shutdown, with some of the world's largest airlines forced to cancel countless flights and leaving travelers rushing to get in the air before it's too late. In the US, airlines have greatly reduced operations but many still operate as the country's airspace remains open.Take a look at which airlines won't be gracing the world's skies in the near future.
Get the latest coronavirus analysis and research from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is impacting businesses.
Air India ExpressAdvertisement
Cabo Verde Airlines
Cebu Pacific Air
Comair - British AirwaysAdvertisement
CSA Czech AirlinesAdvertisement
LOT Polish Airlines
Middle Eastern Airlines
Royal Air MarocAdvertisement
Royal Jordanian Airlines
Thai Lion AirAdvertisement
Ukraine International AirlinesAdvertisement
- Confiscate Bengaluru rioters' properties like Yogi Adityanath did, suggests Tejasvi Surya
- Best affordable smartwatches in India that work with Android and iOS
- JEE Mains admit card 2020 to be out soon. Here’s how to download it
- Friends Dry Pants aims to destigmatise talking about urine leakage and weak bladders in its campaign
- Amazon’s entry in food delivery is a speed bump on Zomato and Swiggy’s race to profitability, says report