The castle, which is six miles from St. Andrews and 55 miles from Edinburgh, dates back to the 16th century. It was thought to be first occupied by relatives of Robert the Bruce, former King of Scotland, according to a brochure from the real estate agency Savills.A spokesperson for Savills, the agency selling the property, told Insider that there is no official asking price.After the Bruce's direct male line died out in 1708, the castle was bought and sold to other buyers through the years. The castle underwent a restoration project in 1890 after more than half a century's decay and neglect had taken their toll, according to Savills' brochure.The castle has 10 bedrooms, eight reception rooms, two dressing rooms, six bathrooms, and three cottages in its grounds (not pictured). The kitchen has a paneled ceiling, stone tiled floors, and an integrated dishwasher and fridge freezer.The sitting room has a similar color scheme to the kitchen, and is decorated with a selection of watercolor paintings. Sir Andrew, the Baron of Earlshall, who lived in the castle in the 17th century, was known as Bloody Bruce for his brutal victory at the Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689 during the Scottish Jacobite uprising, according to the Savills website.Andrew's footsteps are said to be heard on the spiral staircase to this day, the website adds.A spokesperson for Savills told Insider that the agency declines to comment on the haunted history of the property, due to it being unhelpful with sales. The room has a fireplace and timber paneled walls.It has a carved stone fireplace and a corner alcove with a window seat.Sma is a Scottish term for small or little. There is also an adjoined bathroom, not photographed, according to Savills. Like the library, the study has a stone fireplace, according to Savills. For more information about the property, visit the Savills website.