A parenting influencer popular in the homeschooling Instagram community died while pregnant with her 5th child
- Emily Mitchell, an Instagram influencer known for homeschooling and parenting content, has died while pregnant with her fifth child.
- The 36-year-old, who lived in Rhode Island with her husband and four children, died on December 22.
- A GoFundMe page created to support the family said that "all valiant efforts to resuscitate" Mitchell "were unsuccessful."
An Instagram influencer known for homeschooling and parenting content has died while pregnant with her fifth child. Emily Mitchell, whose Instagram, @the.hidden.way, was full of photos of her husband, four children, and pets, died on December 22, according to an obituary first published in The Westerly Sun and shared online.
The parenting influencer, who was 36 years old, frequently shared Instagram posts about her family life in a farmhouse in Rhode Island, as well as her Christian faith. Mitchell was also a "talented musician, singer, recording artist, and music teacher" with degrees in psychology and music, the obituary said.
On the day of her death, Mitchell was "having her morning coffee and toast when she suddenly became unresponsive," according to a GoFundMe that was made to support the family and has raised more than $163,000 as of Monday morning.
The GoFundMe said that "all valiant efforts to resuscitate were unsuccessful." The family is awaiting further information from doctors regarding Mitchell's cause of death, according to the GoFundMe. Insider sent a message to Allyson Speake, the creator of the GoFundMe page, but did not hear back at the time of writing.
Mitchell announced her fifth pregnancy on Instagram on November 19 and said that she was eleven weeks pregnant at the time. The family had named the unborn child Joey, according to the obituary.
Mitchell's Instagram account gained tens of thousands of followers after her death, continuing an online phenomenon of people following popular figures after they die. On December 22, the day she died, she had roughly 82,000 followers, according to data from SocialBlade, a social-media analytics website. As of Monday, she has 161,000 followers.
In her last Instagram post, on December 8, Mitchell shared that her fifth baby would be delivered via Caesarian section, as her first four children were. Mitchell said that other mothers in the Instagram parenting and homeschooling communities, where natural births are extremely popular, shouldn't feel discouraged should they need medical intervention.
"However your baby gets here, just know YOUR EXPERIENCE is valid and worthy," Mitchell wrote in the caption of her final post. "YOU are no less a mother if you needed emergency medical intervention, had a planned c-section, or an epidural."
Mitchell is survived by her husband, Joseph, and their four children.
- Most secluded places in India to visit in 2023
- Relieve constipation naturally with Indian foods: A guide to digestive health
- Less than half of JSW Infrastructure’s IPO subscribed on day 1
- Big unlisted companies may come under tighter regulatory norms
- IndianOil unveils India's first green hydrogen-run bus that emits just water