A TikToker shared the painful things she's 'heard as a childless 42-year-old,' as fans cheered her on for tackling a taboo subject
- 42-year-old Natalie Bright has gone viral for her TikToks addressing ageism and motherhood.
- In one, she dances in the face of critics who've told her she doesn't "know true love" because she hasn't had a child.
The Manhattan-based TikToker Natalie Bright is celebrating that she's a "childless 42-year-old," and dancing in the face of critics in viral TikTok videos. Commenters are praising her for approaching a tough, taboo subject with positivity.
The influencer — who makes content about beauty and fashion and who has fans frequently marveling at her youthful demeanor — shared a clip of herself last month dancing in the streets of New York as she lists hurtful comments she's received about her decision not to have children.
According to Bright, some of them include: "Who's going to take care of you when you're 70," "You don't know true love until you give birth," "You will die alone," and "You failed at life."
@bynataliebright oh and there was “you probably cry in the bathroom everyday” #childless#happy#childlesstiktok #fyp#childlessmillenial ♬ original sound - Kyle & Jackie O
"People just have a lot of opinions about this because it's not really openly discussed," Bright told Insider. "It's a sensitive subject."
But on TikTok, the floodgates of support opened wide. Several people who claimed to work in nursing homes said that having children doesn't mean you won't "die alone," and that they have often observed their residents were unvisited.
"We all die alone no matter if we have kids or don't. Thanks for bringing positivity to this subject," another person added.
People reminded Bright that as long as she's lived a fulfilled life for herself, that's all that matters. "The fact that she looks soo young says a lot about the life she's lived," one commenter noted.
Her video went so viral — with 2.5 million views — she was compelled to share a follow-up earlier this week. Responding to a comment that enthusiastically asked for "more of this please," Bright posted another video of herself dancing to more slights. This one included a remark that she's a "future crazy cat lady."
Once again, commenters responded in solidarity. "I'm 37 and I've heard the same things," a viewer wrote.
The clip marked Bright's second brush with virality – the first being another video about stigmas surrounding aging that also garnered a wave of support.
In that video, from January, and with 10 million views, Bright said she was returning home from an influencer event and feeling left out because she was older than many of the other attendees. She stood on the streets and shrugged as the caption read: "Girls don't want to be my friend when they find out I'm 41."
@bynataliebright all my friends had kids and moved to the suburbs. and im too old to make new friends in the city #nyc#nofriendsclub #nofriendscheck ♬ Love You So - The King Khan & BBQ Show
As a result of that video, she said, some commenters assumed she didn't have kids and weighed in with critical thoughts, which inspired the more recent video.
Bright, who's a full-time influencer who also makes money by posting user-generated content for brands, said that while negative comments typically sting for a beat, it doesn't ultimately bother her at this stage in her life. Plus, an overwhelming majority of viewers are supportive.
"The way I see it is happiness is what you make it," she told Insider. "I want people to know that life without kids still can be fulfilling and happy."
She also wanted to note that she's a proud parent to a bulldog, which might mean she's "actually a mom," she joked. "I feel like it's actually the most pure form of love and happiness."
- I took a new job in a remote location after my divorce. There aren't many people to date, but I'm happy staying single.
- Elon Musk hits out at viral videos of DINK couples, saying there's an 'awful morality' to those who choose not to have children
- Married couples often share high blood pressure, study shows
- 8 Irresistible seasonal snacks to warm your winter days
- Vijay Shekhar Sharma says 'Wed in India' is a good idea for its food options
- NCLAT stays CCI penalty on NTPC in Ratnagiri Gas & Power shares issue
- A Japanese Start-Up Is Testing a Rocket Powered Entirely By Rocket Fuel Created From Cow Dung!
- Amazon sues scammers for stealing millions of dollars via fake returns