13 ways you can be happier at work, according to career experts
- To optimize your career, you want to make sure the hours you spend at work are more happy than not.
- Even though it may not seem like it, there are ways to be happier at work, including making sure you carve out time to take breaks.
- Here, 13 career experts share tips on how to be happier at work.
If you work 40 hours out of a 168-hour week, that's nearly a quarter of your week spent at work. Of course, you probably want to make sure those hours are more enjoyable than not. But not everyone is happy at work.
In fact, Teem - a software and workplace analytics company that WeWork recently acquired - did some research on the subject. According to the 2017 Teem Employee Happiness Survey of over 1,300 US workers, 48% of those surveyed reported being unhappy or "somewhat happy" at work, which was up 8% from their 2016 report.
Among the factors contributing to this were poor work-life balance (48%), workers feeling underappreciated in their positions (46%), and people feeling obligated to respond to colleagues at all times, due to communication apps (49%).
"Work can be stressful, but that doesn't mean happiness can't be achieved," Zach Holmquist, cofounder and chief of workplace experience at Teem, told Business Insider in an email. "While it may seem difficult to attain, it's crucial for both employees and employers. To avoid burnout and ultimately maximize creativity and productivity, ensure you are truly working in an environment where you can thrive."
Here, Holmquist and 12 other career experts share their advice on how to be happier at work. (Responses have been condensed and edited for clarity.)
1. Put your professional development first
2. Figure out what truly motivates you
3. Conduct an energy audit and make changes accordingly
4. Take 10-to-15-minute breaks
5. Keep a 'smile file'
6. Remind yourself of why you like working there
7. Be disciplined about rest and balance
8. Don't be 'on' 24/7
12. Build your network
10. Connect your work to your intrinsic values
11. Limit time with negative coworkers
12. Talk to your boss more often
13. Discard the idea of 'right' versus 'wrong'
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i5 processors
- Best laptops with 11th Gen Intel i7 processors
- Best gaming laptops with 11th Gen Intel processors
- Best FreeSync monitors for a smooth gaming experience
- Best condenser microphones to record podcasts, songs and more