17 things you should never wear to a job interview
- Picking an interview outfit might be one of the more stressful parts of preparing for a job interview.
- An ideal interview look shows the employer that you're a good cultural fit for the company.
- What not to wear to an interview includes suits at a laid-back start-up and T-shirts at a law firm.
- Above all, interview outfits should be unwrinkled, clean, and not revealing.
Your interview outfit should be professional and put-together. It won't necessarily be the most stylish outfit you'll ever wear, but it should communicate confidence and a good work ethic.
In fact, rolling up to the office in a suit or skirt suit when everyone else is wearing jeans could hurt you in the interview process. It shows you're not a cultural fit for the company.
"Some of the most common mistakes people make when dressing for an interview are following old and outdated advice or not taking the time to do their research and ask questions about the company culture ahead of time," Cenedella told Business Insider.
Cenedella suggested reaching out to your recruiter, company contact, or the HR team to get a sense for what people at the company typically wear to work.
"You can always be direct and ask 'Will I feel out of place in formal business attire?'" Cenedella told Business Insider. "If they answer 'not at all,' you know it's expected."
Regardless of the typical level of dress in the office, some decorum during the interview is still necessary - yoga pants, wrinkled shirts, or ripped denim shouldn't be in your interview wardrobe even for the most casual workplaces.
Here are the 17 things you definitely shouldn't wear to a job interview:
Anything that's wrinkled or wrinkle-prone
Something that doesn't quite fit you or is stained
Anything that's too trendy
Jeans and a T-shirt
Yoga pants or other gym clothes
Outlandish make-up or jewelry
Loud patterns or crazy colors
A crazy tie or a black tie
Earbuds or headphones
A lot of perfume or cologne
For men, shoes and belts that aren't made of leather
Your flashiest nose piercing
Ripped or light-wash jeans
Something that doesn't make you feel awesome, confident, and ready for anything
- Mehmet Oz says he was 'exhausted' when he filmed viral 'Wegner's' gaffe, adding it's not a big deal because 'I've gotten my kids' names wrong as well'
- Life and times of Rakesh Jhunjhunwala — the man behind the trader
- A 29-year-old woman found a mark on her head and was diagnosed with a fungal infection. It turned out to be invasive skin cancer.
- New Maruti Suzuki Alto K10 brings premium SUV features in a compact car
- Best face scrubs for smooth and glowing skin in India
- Agnipath recruitment rally from Nov 22 to Dec 11 in Maha
- Realme 9i 5G vs Redmi Note 11 – price, specs and features compared
- This herb is the magic fertilizer needed to grow vegetables on Mars