20 famous athletes who retired earlier than expected
- Andrew Luck surprised the NFL world by retiring at 29 years old.
- Throughout sports history, there have been professional athletes who have retired earlier than expected, often times because of injuries.
- Check out some examples of athletes who have called it quits relatively early.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Andrew Luck's decision to retire caught the NFL world by surprise, but he's hardly the first athlete to call it quits early.
In fact, Rob Gronkowski decided to retire at the same age as Luck, just a few months beforehand. More NFL players may follow their lead.
Throughout sports history, there have been surprising retirement announcements from players who figured to have plenty of years left in their career. Most of the time, injuries play a big part in their decision to hang up their jerseys.
Here are a few examples of professional athletes who ended their careers earlier than expected.
1. Andrew Luck
2. Rob Gronkowski
3. Doug Baldwin
4. Brandon Roy
5. Sandy Koufax
6. Patrick Willis
7. Bobby Orr
8. Bjorn Borg
9. Calvin Johnson
10. Michael Jordan
11. Jim Brown
12. Bo Jackson
13. Yao Ming
14. Ken Dryden
15. Barry Sanders
16. Chris Borland
17. Dave Nilsson
18. Earl Campbell
19. Isiah Thomas
20. Tiki Barber
Now, check out what happened to the other quarterbacks from Andrew Luck's draft class...
- Explained: Why Assam gets flooded every year
- Understanding Gautam Adani’s rise: a story on how to generate wealth via hope, equity and of course debt
- Realme Narzo 50 Pro 5G vs Redmi Note 11 Pro Plus 5G – price, specs and features compared
- Sun Pharma buys Uractiv portfolio in Romania — which brings in $8.7 million every year
- Hero Electric scooter catches fire in Odisha, no casualties or injuries were reported