6 carmakers that are betting electric scooters and bikes - not cars - are the future of city transportation
- Carmakers are investing in electric portable mobility transportation by creating either concepts or full-blown new products, including e-bikes and e-scooters, at an increasing pace.
- While concept micro-mobility ideas like Volkswagen's scooters have an uncertain path to production, others, such as Peugeot, already sell a full line of products - and have for years.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Carmakers are increasingly looking towards new ways to move people around, including tapping into the rising trends of e-bikes and e-scooters.
Audi announced on Monday the development of its e-tron Scooters, almost a year after announcing its fully electric e-tron SUV. Other carmakers, like BMW and Ford, have already been exploring the electric personal micro-mobility market through collaborating with established players.
It's no surprise carmakers are looking towards the booming e-mobility market. E-scooter company Bird reached a $2 billion valuation in under a year of operation in 2018, according to Inc. Similarly, one of Bird's largest competitors, Lime, has a $2.4 billion valuation, the company announced in February.
Ridesharing companies such as Uber have also been exploring the space. Their e-bike share subsidiary, Jump, has already launched in several cities, including Providence, Rhode Island and Sacramento, California. Lyft also has a stake in the electric bike ridesharing community, although the San Francisco program was recently halted after two bikes caught on fire.
Whether it's electric scooters or bikes, here are all the car companies making moves into creating electric micro-mobility products.
Get the latest Ford stock price here.
Ford Super Cruiser
Audi e-tron Scooter
Volkswagen's Streetmate and Cityskater concept scooters
General Motors ARĪV Meld and Merge
Peugeot eLC01 e-bike
- Ready to introduce same-day settlement of trades by March 2024: Sebi chief
- Grok AI chatbot to reach all English-language users in about a week: Musk
- What are the two climate declarations India has been hesitant to sign at COP28?
- This 400-million-year-old fossil is the oldest disease-causing fungus we've ever seen!
- 10 Best places to visit in India for New Year 2024