7 Dead In 'Mad Man's' Drive-By Shooting Rampage Near College Campus
A drive-by shooting rampage near the University of California, Santa Barbara, left seven people dead including a suspect, according to the Associated Press. Seven more people were hospitalized, including one with life-threatening injuries.
Santa Barbara County sheriff Bill Brown said initial reports of gunfire came in around 9:30 p.m. PT, according to local affiliate KEYT-TV. After police responded and exchanged gunfire with the suspect, he veered into a parked car. Police found him dead, but Brown said it was unclear how he was ultimately killed.
Brown did not release the suspect's name, but he said he has been identified. He said the suspect was "severely mentally disturbed" and that this was an incident of "premeditated mass murder." He called him a "mad man."
One witness told the station that the scene was something out of an "old western shoot-out."
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Top 10 must-visit destinations in South Africa
- Indian markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Stock markets continue record run, Sensex scales 69K peak as power, bank shares advance
- Icy pebbles may be carrying water to developing planets across the cosmos!
- With $500 billion in reserves, LIC is the world’s fourth largest insurer