I'm an NYC local - here are 9 things you should see and skip when you visit
Adrienne JordanApr 19, 2018, 22:08 IST
Nine NYC hotspots you should definitely hit on your next trip.
New York City can be overwhelming, and you want to make sure you hit all the right spots on your next visit.
After living in New York City for five years, author Adrienne Jordan discovered which places are worth visiting and which you should definitely skip.
From active adventures to culinary hotspots, here are nine attractions you must see in New York City.
Visiting New York City is always a multi-sensory experience: from the hundreds of skyscrapers, the heady smell of street food, and the multitude of neighborhoods begging to be explored. However, narrowing down the best sights and attractions can be overwhelming. AdvertisementAfter living in New York City for five years, I have found that some of the best places I've experienced have come from locals and insider recommendations. Here are 12 things I recommend people to do in the city, from visiting historic buildings, active adventures, to culinary hotspots:
1. Skip the Statue of Liberty — visit the 9/11 Museum at One World Trade Center instead
2. Instead of buying a hot dog or sausage from a Manhattan food truck, try an egg cream
3. Skip jam-packed Times Square, and head to Columbus Circle instead
4. Instead of spending your entire vacation in Manhattan, visit the outer boroughs
5. Instead of going to the Bethesda Terrace and fountain overlook in Central Park, visit the park's Conservatory Gardens
6. Instead of breaking a sweat in your hotel fitness center, spend a few hours at Brooklyn Boulders
7. Instead of having dinner at a restaurant at street level, take in the skyline with a rooftop dinner
8. Instead of going to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, walk around Chelsea
9. Instead of going to a Broadway play, get tickets to the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre