The best foam rollers for your back
The Insider Picks team writes about stuff we think you'll like. Business Insider has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase.
- Foam rollers for the back are unique in that they are specifically designed to protect the spine and other sensitive areas without compromising the overall effectiveness of the roller.
- The Muuvsport Stealth Align roller features a spine-protecting center channel and a taller design than most foam rollers for unmatched back support.
If you haven't used one yourself, you've probably at least seen a foam roller at your local gym, fitness center, or physical therapist's office. A standard foam roller is a dense piece of foam that ranges anywhere from soft and pliable to dense and rigid for muscle massage and trigger release therapy. Some foam rollers are uniform, while others come with ridges and grids to effectively work out knots, kinks, and general tightness.Foam rollers for backs are a bit different. For starters, they're designed with the sensitive spine area in mind. Some rollers have a designated center channel that provides pressure to the surrounding area while keeping the spine protected. Other rollers are simply easier on the back with their grid-like design.
Foam rollers are generally safe for the upper back and shoulders, while others also cater to the lower back, and even the entire spine. If you're using a foam roller on your back for the first time, it's a good idea to start slow then gradually build up a level of pressure you can tolerate.
In addition to the level of spinal protection and support for the back, there are some other characteristics that helped us pick the best foam rollers for backs listed below. Some rollers stand out for their portability, which is a must for a busy lifestyle. You'll want a foam roller with sufficient coverage on the back and shoulders, yet is compact and light enough to take to the gym or stash in a suitcase. Other rollers are soft and gentle enough for beginners or even those with sensitive backs. If you're just starting out, it's a good idea to slowly build up your tolerance.
Here are the best foam rollers for your back:
- Best foam roller for your back overall: Muuvsport Stealth Align Foam Roller
- Best budget foam roller for your back: TriggerPoint CORE Multi-Density Solid Foam Roller
- Best foam roller for your back for beginners: ProSource Flex Foam Roller
- Best travel foam roller for your back: Rollga Foam Roller PRO
- Best vibrating foam roller foam roller for your back: URBNFit Vibrating Foam Roller
Read on in the slides below to check out our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at email@example.com.