The best men's rain jackets you can buy
Insider Picks writes about products and services to help you navigate when shopping online. Insider Inc. receives a commission from our affiliate partners when you buy through our links, but our reporting and recommendations are always independent and objective.
- With the right rain jacket, your outdoor activities need not be limited because of light rain or a torrential downpour, nor does your sense of style need to suffer in the name of practicality.
- The Columbia Outdry Ex Gold Jacket is our top pick because it's 100% waterproof and very breathable, so you won't be soaked by rain or sweat.
Human beings have been wearing some form of rain-resistant clothing for thousands of years. From water- and snow-resistant parkas made from skins worn by hunters in polar regions to garments fabricated using woven straw, such as the ancient Japanese mino, people have long sought ways to remain dry while outside in wet weather. Which makes sense, because getting cold and wet is really not much fun.Protective rain gear entered the modern era in the 1820s when Scottish chemist Charles Mackintosh created the first practical waterproof fabric. His creation involved the bonding together of two layers of cloth using a layer of rubber, thus producing a material that could be used to make clothing, tents, tarps for wagons, and myriad other purposes. His surname was lent to the Mackintosh Raincoat, a garment still popular today more than 170 years after his death.
When selecting the right rain jacket for your needs, put function in front of style. If your jacket can't help you properly perform the tasks at hand, it doesn't serve you well even if it looks great. Consider whether you'll need to stay dry while jogging, commuting, working outdoors, traveling, or when out for a night on the town.
Once you know the demands that will be placed on your rain gear based on location and circumstance, then you should be all means start to think about style. After all, while a rain jacket's primary purpose is to keep everything underneath it dry, as the outer layer, it's the most visible thing you'll be wearing, so it might as well look good.
In our guide, you'll find rain jackets suited for everything from hiking in the sultry jungle to trekking through freezing mountain rains to strolling down Fifth Avenue in a cool September drizzle. We selected coats from across the price spectrum and in a variety of different styles, but all share one key characteristic: They will keep you dry.
Here are the best rain jackets for men you can buy:
- Best overall: Columbia Outdry Ex Gold Jacket
- Best for warmth: Wantdo Fleece Ski Rain Jacket
- Best affordable: Gioberti Waterproof Lightweight Rain Jacket
- Best for visibility: Shower Pass Waterproof Club Pro Jacket
- Best for classic style: Hart Schaffner Marx Burnett Trench Coat
- Best for under $100: North Face Millerton Hooded Waterproof Jacket
- Best for running: Columbia Sportswear OutDry Ex Caldorado Running Shell
- Best for travel: Patagonia Torrentshell Packable Rain Jacket
Updated on 05/02/2019 by Les Shu: Updated links, formatting, and prices.
Keep scrolling to read more details about our top picks.
Subscribe to our newsletter.
Find all the best offers at our Coupons page.
Disclosure: This post is brought to you by the Insider Picks team. We highlight products and services you might find interesting. If you buy them, we get a small share of the revenue from the sale from our commerce partners. We frequently receive products free of charge from manufacturers to test. This does not drive our decision as to whether or not a product is featured or recommended. We operate independently from our advertising sales team. We welcome your feedback. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.