'A cultural tragedy': Politicians and public figures react to the massive blaze at Notre Dame
- The iconic Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris has caught fire.
- Politicians and public figures around the world are expressing their sympathies.
- US President Donald Trump, London mayor Sadiq Khan, and European Council president Donald Tusk have all weighed in.
Politicians and public figures around the world are expressing their sympathies amid a massive fire at the historic Notre-Dame cathedral in Paris.On Monday evening, the 856-year-old house of worship caught fire, with the blaze quickly tearing through the iconic structure. The cause of the fire is not yet clear, but it has already caused devastating damage, with the spire of the cathedral collapsing.Advertisement
US president Donald Trump tweeted his reaction, and suggested an approach for tackling the blaze: "So horrible to watch the massive fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris. Perhaps flying water tankers could be used to put it out. Must act quickly!"First Lady Melania Trump tweeted: "My heart breaks for the people of Paris after seeing the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral. Praying for everyone's safety."
Nicola Sturgeon, the First Minister of Scotland, wrote: This is truly devastating. What a cultural tragedy, not just for Paris and France, but for the world. #NotreDame."Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, also expressed solidarity. "Heartbreaking scenes of Notre Dame cathedral in flames. London stands in sorrow with Paris today, and in friendship always," he wrote.Advertisement
The cathedral had been in the middle of renovations at the time of the fire.
- Read more:
- The Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is on fire - and now the entire frame is burning
- Watch the moment the iconic spire on top of Notre-Dame cathedral collapsed
- Before the Notre Dame Cathedral caught fire, it was undergoing renovations
- Trump suggests sending 'flying water tankers' to put out the massive fire at the Notre-Dame Cathedral
Notre-Dame de Paris en proie aux flammes. Émotion de toute une nation. Pensée pour tous les catholiques et pour tous les Français. Comme tous nos compatriotes, je suis triste ce soir de voir brûler cette part de nous.- Emmanuel Macron (@EmmanuelMacron) April 15, 2019
Notre-Dame de Paris est Notre-Dame de toute l'Europe. We are all with Paris today.- Donald Tusk (@eucopresident) April 15, 2019
Heartbreaking scenes of Notre Dame cathedral in flames. London stands in sorrow with Paris today, and in friendship always.- Mayor of London (@MayorofLondon) April 15, 2019
- Domestic flights resume after two months: Delhi's first departure is to Pune and Mumbai's first to Patna
- 46 more test COVID positive in Assam, total cases near 400
- Turkey confirms 32 deaths, 1,141 new COVID-19 cases
- COVID: As 2 more test positive, Hamirpur continues to have highest number of cases in HP
- Himachal COVID-19 tally crosses 200 as 18 news cases reported