A Google employee lives in a truck in the company's parking lot - here's what his family and friends think
He moved into a 128-square-foot truck to save money on outlandish rent prices.
Five months ago, he purchased a one-way ticket out West, said goodbye to his family and home in Massachusetts, and bought his new home - a 2006 Ford truck - for $10,000.
"My extended family thinks it's a little bit insane, but they're not wrong," Brandon - who asked to withhold his last name and photo to maintain his privacy - tells Business Insider.
He's always been an independent kid, he explains, so rather than expressing worry or doubts, his family rolled with the punches.
"When I tell them that I'm going to do something, they understand that I've thoroughly planned it out and figured out logistics," he says. "They trust that I may be completely insane, but at least I can take care of myself while being completely insane."
As for his friends, they've been overwhelmingly supportive, he says.
"I've been continually surprised at how receptive people are to the whole concept of living in a car, normally once I explain all of my motivating factors," he writes on his blog. "Mainly, I get a lot of 'That's really great! I personally could never do something like that, but power to you for going through with it!' and that's vaguely encouraging for me."
Another, less surprising, reaction from his friends: envy, when the first of the month rolls around. His one fixed cost is truck insurance for $121 a month.
"They get jealous sometimes when their monthly rent bill comes in," Brandon admits.
- Elon Musk reportedly told workers at his brain-chip startup to imagine they had bombs strapped to their heads to make them work faster
- Cristiano Ronaldo is now causing trouble for Portugal at the World Cup after his dramatic Manchester United exit
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open flat ahead of RBI policy outcome – Vedanta, HDFC AMC, Bikaji Foods among stocks to watch out for
- India is home to a great diversity of faiths: US
- Uniparts India IPO: Here’s how you can check the allotment status
- Best sofa set under ₹15000
- Best washing machine under ₹15000
- Jio Haptik
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Most Valuable Companies
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Kama Holdings
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World