A new video has been released showing Chicago police shooting a suspect in the back
In the video, 25-year-old Johnson appears to be running away from police and toward a public park when Hernandez fires his gun at Johnson five times. Johnson is hit twice out of camera range.
Hernandez will not have criminal charges filed against him because, as Cook County State's Attorney Anita Alvarez explained during the press conference, officers reported that Johnson had a gun and was running toward a police car containing two officers in the park.
Alvarez focused on one still frame of the video, in which she said it appears Johnson is holding a gun, although Johnson's family's lawyer Michael Oppenheimer maintained that there is no gun visible in the video.
Alvarez called Hernandez's actions "reasonable and permissible."
"Johnson could have easily turned around and quickly fired at the officers pursuing him or even fired as he ran," she said. "Police officers are often forced to make split-second judgments in circumstances that are tense, uncertain and rapidly evolving about the amount of force that is necessary in any particular situation."
Alvarez's decision was immediately panned by Oppenheimer, who in 2014 filed a federal wrongful death lawsuit on behalf of Johnson's family.
"This is a joke," Oppenheimer told reporters following the news conference. "It is the blind leading the blind."
Oppenheimer accused Chicago police of covering up Johnson's death by planting a 9-mm pistol on his body and later claiming Johnson had pointed it at them prior to the shooting.
"You can see no gun," he said. "There is no gun visible in Ronald Johnson's hand, because there was none."
Between 50 and 100 protesters from various activist movements - including Black Lives Matter, Action Now and Black Youth Project 100 - rallied on Chicago's South Side following the announcement. Another protest is scheduled for Wednesday morning, organizers said.
Earlier Monday, US Attorney General Loretta Lynch said the US Department of Justice would launch a wide-ranging investigation into the practices of the Chicago Police Department, focusing on the department's use of force and its accountability procedures.
The investigation comes after weeks of intense scrutiny surrounding the death of Laquan McDonald, a 17-year-old boy who was shot and killed by Chicago police eight days after Johnson's death.
Screengrab/Chicago Police Department
Screengrab/Chicago Police Department
The footage appears to contradict police reports that McDonald, who they say was holding a four-inch knife, had swung at them in an "aggressive, exaggerated manner."
Several top officials in the Chicago Police Department have resigned following the release of the video, including Chief of Detectives Dean Andrews on Monday.
Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel fired police department superintendent Garry McCarthy on December 1, and Officer Jason Van Dyke was charged with murder, the first such charge against a Chicago police officer for an on-duty shooting in almost 35 years.
- 911 dispatchers say skiers are accidentally setting off Apple's new crash-detection technology without realizing, triggering emergency calls
- BHEL among 5 bidders for Rs 58,000 cr deal to manufacture, maintain 200 Vande Bharat trains
- Indian markets open marginally lower amid weak global cues – PB Fintech, Maruti Suzuki, Tata Motors, M&M, Bajaj Auto and other stocks in focus
- Bahamas, Taiwan, Malta & more: Here are 10 countries offering digital nomad visa
- Maruti Suzuki cars will get costlier from January 2023
- Paytm’s optimistic growth projections boost sentiments, shares climb nearly 8%
- India stands like oasis in era of uncertainty amid global inflation, says SBI Research
- Personal loans fintech platform KreditBee raises $80 million in Series-D investment round
- Dharmaj Crop IPO
- Reliance Jio
- Digital Nomad Visa
- Whatsapp tips
- Air India crew guidelines
- Mukesh Ambani
- Larget Employers
- Highest Revenue companies
- New Cars in December 2022
- Best Companies for Work
- India's Richest People
- Maruti Suzuki
- Top Valuable unlisted Company
- Tata Tiago cng vs Alto k10 cng
- Top 10 Colleges in India
- Top 10 Airlines in World