An Uber glitch appears to have sent drivers to riders' final destinations - before picking anyone up
- An issue with Uber's dispatching software is sending drivers to a rider's final destination before picking up the rider.
- Both riders and drivers have reported the recurring issue over the past week.
- The company did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider, but it's official support account said on Twitter that it was aware of the issue.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Many Uber drivers and riders are reporting a peculiar problem: drivers were being sent to their destinations instead of the pickup point.The issue appears to be mainly affecting the Uber Driver app, which is a separate product from the rider app, and sending drivers to a requested destination before picking up the passenger who requested to go there.
Uber did not respond to a request for comment from Business Insider. The company's verified support account responded that it was "aware of the issue and working to resolve ASAP."Usually, drivers are not shown a riders' destination until the ride has begun. This helps to avoid cancelled rides if a driver doesn't like the direction or length of a requested trip.
Other riders said they experienced similar issues:Drivers said that they were experiencing the issue as well."Anyone else have this problem," asked a driver in Florida on the popular UberPeople forum. "3 times in Fort Lauderdale in the past two days, I get a ping, head to pickup point and find it is the destination and pax is waiting for me at an address the app did not provide.
App issues are a major complaint among drivers. In interviews with Business Insider, many have said the company often takes months to respond to, and properly address, bugs in the platform.
"Uber delayed two months about bugs in the app, when it was crashing as I was trying to login," Harmony, a driver in Tennessee who asked to keep her last name private to avoid pushback from the company, said. "Finally I gave up and started driving for Lyft instead."Do you work for Uber? Have a news tip? Get in touch with this reporter at firstname.lastname@example.org. Secure contact methods are available here.
- Uber and Lyft drivers reveal what they wish they knew before signing up to work for the apps
- Uber and Lyft drivers reveal the things you should never do while taking a ride
- Female drivers for Uber and Lyft say sexual harassment is the norm - and getting help from the companies isn't easy
- Uber drivers are thrilled with the company's plan to bar passengers with low ratings
@Uber_Support please help. My driver went to the destination instead of pickup and refuses to cancel the ride. I called him, but he told me he would not cancel. Now i am stranded and will miss my class.- Kimberds of Paradise (@fodgelistic) July 3, 2019
hey @Uber_Support , something is wrong with your system. i've had two drivers within 10 mins drive directly to my destination instead of my pickup point. what gives?- pound cake baby (@jessjones327) July 3, 2019
@Uber_Support I just spent 20 minutes waiting for Uber and when he finally "arrives" he actually is at the destination rather than the pickup point. I think you need to hit that "rollback" button for whatever you released today.- Niccolo Maisto (@nmaisto) July 3, 2019
- Top stocks to watch — Hero Moto, Airtel, Tata Motors, ICICI Bank, Adani Gas, Marico, Titan, Dr Reddy’s and others
- Apophis, the ‘God of Chaos’ asteroid is speeding up — increasing the likelihood of it hitting Earth in 2068
- Sputnik V: RDIF seeks vaccine's speedy registration, prequalification from WHO
- Ankhi Das quits as Facebook's India public policy head
- States urged to adopt national approach: Niti Aayog on 'free vaccine'