Apple is launching a special new iPhone designed for professional hackers - but you won't be able to buy it
Justin Sullivan/Getty Images
- Apple is launching a new program that will allow security experts to apply for special iPhones designed to be used for research purposes.
- Unlike the average iPhone, these phones would come with modifications that make the software more open and accessible for researchers.
- It's one of several updates Apple is making to its bug-bounty program, which it launched in 2016.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Apple will offer a modified version of the iPhone to security researchers as part of its bug-bounty program, the company announced at the Black Hat cybersecurity conference on Thursday. It's the first time Apple has ever offered special devices specifically for security research purposes in this way.These iPhones will be part of the company's iOS Security Research Device program, which provides a special version of the company's smartphone to select security researchers who apply. The program is open for researchers with a proven track record of making impactful security-oriented contributions, with the goal being to make it easier for experienced bug hunters to work on Apple's devices.
The iOS Security Research Device program is one of several updates to its bug-bounty program that Apple announced at the conference. The company also upped the maximum amount of money it will pay out to researchers who find flaws, including a $1 million reward for those who execute a specific iPhone vulnerability that makes it possible to gain control of a device without requiring any user interaction.Apple is also expanding its bug-bounty program, which it launched three years ago, to include its Mac, Apple Watch, and Apple TV operating systems as well as iOS.
- Supreme Court challenges India's new rules for governing Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and other OTTs — no 'appropriate action' listed against those who violate regulations
- Netflix's hilarious spoof, Biggest Boss takes a direct dig at competition's hit show, Bigg Boss
- Akali Dal MLAs suspended from Punjab Assembly for remainder of Budget session after ruckus in House. PTI CHS VSD ASH ASH
- Creating value across various departments with innovative technology offerings
- Wipro's share price has outperformed its peers in the last year — but analysts are still cautious about giving it a 'buy' rating