Beto O'Rourke proposes a 'sweeping rewrite' of US immigration policy, including a path to citizenship for millions of undocumented immigrants
- Democratic presidential candidate Beto O'Rourke unveiled a new immigration policy proposal on Wednesday.
- The plan would roll back much of the Trump administration's policies regarding illegal immigrants and asylum seekers.
- O'Rourke's proposal would also halt construction of the border wall and refocus personnel for other security purposes at ports of entry.
- Visit BusinessInsider.com for more stories.
Read more: Beto O'Rourke is running for president in 2020. Here's everything we know about the candidate and how he stacks up against the competition.
"This innovative plan overcomes a generation of inaction to finally rewrite our immigration laws in our own image - reflecting our values, the reality of the border, the best interests of our communities, and the longstanding traditions of a country comprised of families from the world over," O'Rourke said in a statement. "Coming from a city of immigrants, I've seen the incredible contributions of immigrants to our communities and local economies, and have been able to experience what happens when we allow everyone to contribute to their full potential.""Under our administration, we will ensure that we advance a new vision of immigration that fully reflects our country's values and empowers every individual to contribute to the shared greatness of our country," he added.
The plan would focus on what a fact sheet from the campaign described as three pillars:
- "On day one of his presidency, Beto will use executive authority to stop the inhumane treatment of children, reunite families that have been separated, reform our asylum system, rescind the travel bans, and remove the fear of deportation for Dreamers and beneficiaries of programs like TPS [temporary protected status]."
- "Beto will also immediately engage with Congress to enact legislation - focused on the key role families and communities play - that will allow America to fully harness the power of economic growth and opportunity that both immigration and naturalization will bring to our country's future."
- "Finally, Beto's plan would strengthen our partnership with our neighbors in the Western Hemisphere. We need to refocus on supporting democracy and human rights and invest in reducing violence because the only path to regional security runs through a more democratic and prosperous Latin America."
The proposal would dramatically change how the US approaches border security
O'Rourke has already said he would tear down existing portions of physical barriers along the southern border and the plan released Wednesday called for immediately halting any further construction of walls. According to O'Rourke's plan, every presidential budget proposal of his administration would include zero dollars for wall construction. It is not clear whether or not that would include necessary repairs for existing sections of the border wall.Advertisement
O'Rourke's plan would also invest in rebuilding and modernizing US ports of entry, a primary pathway for human traffickers and drug smugglers.
In terms of oversight of border security personnel, O'Rourke proposes the creation of a "Border Oversight Commission, an Ombudsman, and Border Community Liaison office." This would also include creating a new process for tracking and reducing migrants deaths along the border.The immigration proposal is one of O'Rourke's most detailed of his campaign, adding his to the list of other candidates, including fellow Texan Julián Castro.Advertisement
- IPO rush this week — CAMS, Chemcon and Angel Broking gear up to hit the market
- Two foreigners held for drug peddling
- Bio-secure bubbles – Here's how IPL players will be staying safe during the pandemic
- INTERVIEW: Chennai-based CAMS’ 30-year journey to an IPO
- Amazon pumps in money into MORE to take on the heavyweights Reliance Retail and DMart