Bill Hader says having 'Game of Thrones' on before 'Barry' drastically changed public awareness of his show
- Bill Hader's HBO dark comedy "Barry" benefited from the final season of "Game of Thrones" airing right before it.
- Hader told Business Insider there was a definite bump in awareness about his show because of it.
- "We had 2.5 million new viewers once the season [of 'Game of Thrones'] started, it was insane," he said.
- Despite many fans being upset about how the last season of "Game of Thrones" played out, season 2 of "Barry" was universally praised.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The final season of "Game of Thrones" was one of those pop-culture events that was so big you had to watch it every Sunday night or suffer ridicule from friends and be the victim of constant spoilers in the days that followed. Advertisement
That popularity didn't just help HBO generally, but also specifically the show that followed "Thrones": Bill Hader's dark comedy, "Barry."
But despite all the love, Hader felt bad that "Thrones" got a lot of negativity thrown at it. He admitted that when he praised his fellow HBO show, he felt the wrath of the fans."I was talking to people after I did an interview and they were complaining about 'Game of Thrones' and I said, 'I think the Dragon Queen going evil was rad,' and they got mad at me," Hader said, referring to "The Bells" episode. "So I was like, 'Okay, I'm leaving, this is me walking away.' I mean, I don't want to get political here, but I'll say this: the fact that there's a giant petition that the season has to be redone, I mean, there's a lot more things in this world right now that could use a petition with thousands of people signing it. There are bigger fish to fry."Advertisement
The entire season of "Barry" (and "Game of Thrones") is available to stream on HBO GO/NOW.
- Atletico's Costa could face 6-month sentence for tax fraud
- 2,682 new coronavirus cases in Maha, 116 deaths, 8,381 recover
- 302 new COVID-19 cases in Pune, district count reaches 7,314
- Highest single-day jump of 217 COVID-19 cases in Hry, total tally 1,721
- COVID-19 cases in Ahmedabad district go up by 253 to 11,597