Tesla was ignorant about Bitcoin's environmental impact as per Elon Musk's brother
A Tesla board member, Kimbal told TechCrunch that the company had no idea about the climate impact of cryptocurrencies.
"When we invested in Bitcoin, we were very ignorant. We had no idea of the environmental impact, we literally didn't know, we were like this seems like a good store of value and a good way to diversify assets," Kimbal was quoted as saying in the report late on Wednesday.
While Tesla "didn't necessarily regret" its Bitcoin purchase, Kimbal said he hoped that the Blockchain industry can move to a more environmentally-friendly infrastructure of producing cryptocurrencies.
"Tesla will not be selling any Bitcoin and we intend to use it for transactions as soon as mining transitions to more sustainable energy," he added.
Kimbal has served on Tesla's board since 2004.
The company started accepting Bitcoin in late March last year. Elon Musk had said that Tesla will no longer sell any more of the $1.5 billion Bitcoins it purchased earlier this year.
After less than two months of going bullish on Bitcoin, Tesla applied brakes on the popular cryptocurrency as a payment mode to buy its electric vehicles, citing environmental harm.
Musk then said that the electric car maker will not sell any bitcoin and intends to use bitcoin for transactions as soon as mining moves to more sustainable energy.
Tesla sold some of that bitcoin in the first quarter of 2021.
Elon Musk's lawyer accused the SEC of orchestrating a 'vindictive' leak against his client. Musk said his lawyer was 'peeling back the first layer of the corruption onion.'
Popular on BI
- An overlooked group of borrowers will be hit hard as student loan repayments resume, former Fed economist says
- TikTok's strategy for US dominance is straight out of Amazon's playbook — but creators are the fuel for its flywheel
- Robin Williams' daughter says she finds AI recreations of her father's voice 'personally disturbing'
- Survey shows people find no improvement in public toilets across country
- Sebi extends deadline for listed cos to confirm or deny market rumours
- Tom Hanks, a dental plan promotion and an AI
- New 'inverse vaccine' shows potential to treat multiple sclerosis, diabetes: Study
- TDP leaders stage hunger strike In Delhi against arrest of Chandrababu Naidu