Costco just bought up a logistics company from Sears' owner for $1 billion
- Costco bought logistics company Innovel Solutions from Sears' holding company for $1 billion, according to a statement published on the warehouse chain's website.
- Costco has been a client of Innovel since 2015.
- "We believe the acquisition will allow us to grow our e-commerce sales of 'big and bulky' items at a faster rate," Costco CEO Craig Jelinek said in a statement.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Costco announced Tuesday that it bought logistics company Innovel Solutions from Transform Holdco, the holding company currently operating Sears and Kmart, for $1 billion.In a press release published on the retailer's website, Costco described Innovel as providing its clients like Sears with "'final mile' delivery, complete installation and white glove capabilities for 'big and bulky' products across the United States and Puerto Rico."
Writing back in 2015, Forbes contributor Steve Banker reported that Innovel was the "supply chain arm" for Sears Holding Company and served clients like the Air Force Exchange, the Navy Exchange, and former Sears brand Lands' End.Costco has been a client of Innovel since 2015. But the big purchase doesn't mean that the logistics company will be severing ties with its old owners. Innovel will continue to work with Sears after the sale.
UBS predicted that Costco's latest acquisition - which comes out to $67 per square foot of retail space - will help the retailer "extend its reach." A note from the bank compared the move to building 100 new traditional Costco warehouses, and it predicted that the warehouse chain will accrue savings through owning Innovel that it will pass down onto members."We have had a great relationship with Innovel and share a philosophy of taking care of our members," Costco CEO Craig Jelinek said in a statement. "We believe the acquisition will allow us to grow our e-commerce sales of 'big and bulky' items at a faster rate."
NOW WATCH: 9 items to avoid buying at Costco
- Sanofi, GSK to supply COVAX with 200 mn doses of COVID-19 vaccine (Ld)
- After Bihar, now BJP promises free Corona vaccine in MP
- Sanofi, GSK to support COVAX with 200mn doses of Covid-19 vaccine
- Union Minister Smriti Irani tests positive for COVID-19
- Samsung overtakes Xiaomi to retake the smartphone crown in India