Lockdown extensions economically disastrous, create another medical crisis: Mahindra
While acknowledging that choices are not easy for policy makers, he said a lockdown extension will not help.
"Lockdown extensions aren't just economically disastrous, as I had tweeted earlier, but also create another medical crisis," Mahindra said in a tweet.He was referring to an article that highlighted "the dangerous psychological effects of lockdowns & the huge risk of neglecting non-COVID patients". Advertisement
Mahindra, who had earlier proposed a comprehensive lifting after 49 days of lockdown, further said, "The choices aren't easy for policy makers but a lockdown extension won't help".
He said, "The numbers (coronavirus cases) will continue to rise & the focus must be on rapid expansion of field hospital beds with oxygen lines".He further said, "The army has enormous expertise in this".
On March 22, before the government announced nationwide lockdown, Mahindra had proposed such a move expressing concerns over reports that India was likely to have already reached stage 3 of coronavirus transmission. RKL BAL
- 936 new COVID-19 cases in Assam; eight more die
- 156 fresh cases in Jharkhand, COVID-19 tally now 3,518
- 755 new COVID-19 cases take Odisha's tally to 11,956
- Battling depression, AIIMS Delhi junior doctor jumps off 10th floor of hostel, dies
- AIIMS probe finds no mala fide intent in death of COVID-19 positive journalist: Harsh Vardhan