Mobikwik gets a new co-founder – the startup is getting IPO ready for 2022
- Mobikwik has elevated its Senior Vice President of Payments Chandan Joshi to be the third co-founder.
- Joshi’s elevation to co-founder aims at improving the financial performance of the startup and getting the company in shape for an Initial Public Offering (IPO) in 2022.
- As the lockdown began in March, the startup said it recorded huge numbers with net revenue of ₹38 crore for the month.
Joshi, who joined Mobikwik right after demonetisation, has earlier worked as a financial trader in global markets with Credit Suisse in London & Hong Kong.
Interestingly, Joshi’s elevation to co-founder is aimed at improving the financial performance of the startup and getting the company in shape for an Initial Public Offering (IPO) in 2022. While the company continues to remain in the red, its finances have significantly improved as it prepares for an eventual listing.
AdvertisementMobikwik: Financial snapshot
|FY20||₹ 379 crore||₹8.5 crore|
|FY19||₹162 crore||₹98 crore|
|FY18||₹86 crore||₹199 crore|
As the lockdown began in March, the startup said it recorded huge numbers with a net revenue of ₹38 crore for the month. Currently, digital payments drives 75% of its business.
Some of Mobikwik’s clients for payment gateway
However, it’s not going to be an easy path. Mobikwik faces tough competition in the payments sector from leaders like Google Pay, Paytm, Razorpay, PhonePe and others. The entry of WhatsApp Pay will be another challenge for the 11-year old startup.
In its recently released annual report, Mobikwik had said it has 120 million users and 3 million retailers on its platform. So far, the startup has raised over $100 million in investments from the likes of Sequoia Capital, Bajaj Finance, American Express and Net1.
‘Had to say no to investors now,’ says the founder of Airmeet, India's alternative to Zoom, after raising $12 million from Sequoia
Tencent joins Alibaba and Bytedance in making Singapore its new headquarters after India ban and tensions in the US
- Star India Network garnered a cumulative reach of 352 million in the first 26 matches
- Rabindranath Tagore Jayanti 2021: Remembering some of his greatest words
- Non-residents will have to pay tax in India if transactions exceed ₹2 crore
- Insurance giant LIC announces 5-day work week from May 10 for its employees
- In India, three-wheelers called 'autos' are becoming ambulances as the health infrastructure crumbles