I quit my day job 4 months ago to become a freelance writer. Here's what my family of 4 spends in a typical week.
- Clint Proctor recently quit his day job and became a full-time freelance writer. His wife, Kendall, stays home with their two boys, Landon and Connor.
- Except for the mortgage on their home in Daytona Beach, Florida, they don't have any other debts, which frees up cash flow to spend on things that they enjoy.
- For Business Insider's "Real Money" series, Proctor tracked his family's spending during a typical week. They spent $1,175 on their mortgage, food, and some business expenses.
- Want to share a week of your spending? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My wife and I have always taken budgeting very seriously. For the first several years of our marriage, we budgeted carefully out of sheer necessity. Out of college, I chose a career in ministry.And that choice put a fairly low ceiling on our household income. We were both OK with that but we also knew that we'd need to find creative ways to save.
After our first son was born, my wife decided to stay home with him. So, all of a sudden, we were now down to one income and budgeting became vital once again.In June of this year, I launched out as a full-time personal finance freelance writer. For the first time in my life, I don't have a salary and we're dealing with an inconsistent income. So seven years into our marriage, budgeting has once again become a major focus.
Here's a peek at what our "normal" monthly spending looks like.
This week we spent $1,175 — roughly 29% of our monthly budget.Advertisement
On Monday, we decided to find out what the Popeyes chicken sandwich buzz was all about.
On Tuesday, my wife convinced me to upgrade my business wardrobe.Advertisement
On Wednesday, we enjoyed a long walk in the neighborhood with the kids.
On Thursday, I spend the majority of my workday at Starbucks before hitting the gym.Advertisement
On Friday, my wife and our son enjoyed a mommy-son day at Sea World.
On Saturday, I helped my brother move and spent some quality time with him.Advertisement
On Sunday, we went to church and spent time with family.
- Rishabh Pant signs contract with JSW Sports
- Epic Games announces $20 million prize pool for Fortnite Champion Series in 2021
- Adani Green Energy arm commissions 150-MW solar power plant at Kutch, third in a month
- Jack Ma is back!
- Jack Ma resurfaces – Alibaba founder makes his first public appearance after he was feared to be “missing” for nearly two months