I quit my day job 4 months ago to become a freelance writer. Here's what my family of 4 spends in a typical week.
- Clint Proctor recently quit his day job and became a full-time freelance writer. His wife, Kendall, stays home with their two boys, Landon and Connor.
- Except for the mortgage on their home in Daytona Beach, Florida, they don't have any other debts, which frees up cash flow to spend on things that they enjoy.
- For Business Insider's "Real Money" series, Proctor tracked his family's spending during a typical week. They spent $1,175 on their mortgage, food, and some business expenses.
- Want to share a week of your spending? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
My wife and I have always taken budgeting very seriously. For the first several years of our marriage, we budgeted carefully out of sheer necessity. Out of college, I chose a career in ministry.
And that choice put a fairly low ceiling on our household income. We were both OK with that but we also knew that we'd need to find creative ways to save.
So we followed a strict budget and researched all the savings hacks we could find. And all the work paid off. Even on a limited income, we were able to live quite comfortably. By saving my wife's income during our first few years of marriage, we were able to save up for the down payment on our home in Daytona Beach, Florida.
After our first son was born, my wife decided to stay home with him. So, all of a sudden, we were now down to one income and budgeting became vital once again.
In June of this year, I launched out as a full-time personal finance freelance writer. For the first time in my life, I don't have a salary and we're dealing with an inconsistent income. So seven years into our marriage, budgeting has once again become a major focus.
Here's a peek at what our "normal" monthly spending looks like.
This week we spent $1,175 — roughly 29% of our monthly budget.
On Monday, we decided to find out what the Popeyes chicken sandwich buzz was all about.
On Tuesday, my wife convinced me to upgrade my business wardrobe.
On Wednesday, we enjoyed a long walk in the neighborhood with the kids.
On Thursday, I spend the majority of my workday at Starbucks before hitting the gym.
On Friday, my wife and our son enjoyed a mommy-son day at Sea World.
On Saturday, I helped my brother move and spent some quality time with him.
On Sunday, we went to church and spent time with family.
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- Apple M1 Pro and M1 Max vs M1: Here’s what Apple improved with its new custom chips
- Best gaming mouse for battle royale games in India
- Best tablets for professional use in India
- Ethereum may offer the best returns, but investors have been pulling away over the last two weeks
- Google starts starts testing new safety section for apps, feature to go live in February 2022
- Horlicks and Boost maker HUL sees slowdown in food segment in the last three months
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons