The US states where the most jobs have been destroyed by the coronavirus crisis, in one map
- The novel coronavirus outbreak, which has led to over 500,000 confirmed cases and over 22,000 deaths in the United States so far, has wreaked havoc on the country's economy.
- Between March 15 and April 4, over 16 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits.
- While the economic dislocation is being felt across the country, some states, including California and Pennsylvania, have been hit harder than others so far.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
The novel coronavirus outbreak has led to a shutdown of large swaths of the US economy, as cities and states across the country adopt stay-at-home orders and shutter social gatherings and businesses.The economic impact of the outbreak is already being felt in labor markets, as the number of Americans filing for unemployment benefits has shattered historical records and strained the resources of state offices.
Every Thursday, the Labor Department releases the number of Americans who have newly filed for unemployment benefits in the previous week. Over the last three weeks, those numbers have been extremely dire - a cumulative total of roughly 16.8 million Americans filed for benefits over that period.The weekly release includes the state-by-state breakdown of those initial unemployment claims. This map shows the total cumulative number of claims for each state over the last three releases, covering the period from March 15 through April 4.
We also included the total number as a percent share of the state's February 2020 workforce, the most recent figures available, to give a sense of how much the coronavirus has affected large and small states alike.The numbers are stark. Over 2 million Californians and over 1 million Pennsylvanians have filed for unemployment since the middle of March. In 20 states, over 10% of the February workforce filed for unemployment over those three weeks:
Do you have a personal experience with the coronavirus you'd like to share? Or a tip on how your town or community is handling the pandemic? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us your story.
Get the latest coronavirus business & economic impact analysis from Business Insider Intelligence on how COVID-19 is affecting industries.
- Petrol pumps closed in Rajasthan as dealers demand rollback of VAT on fuel
- Google blocks terms associated with hate speech from being used as ad keywords on YouTube
- Mountains, rivers, trout and toddy — Manali offers you all these and more
- E-commerce and digitisation to accelerate India's auto sector growth, says report
- Punjab left with only five days stock of COVID-19 vaccine, says Amarinder Singh