Conor McGregor says he thinks he will fight again this year and that he wants a rematch with Khabib Nurmagomedov
- Conor McGregor told ESPN that he believes he will fight again this year.
- McGregor said he wants a rematch against Khabib Nurmagomedov, saying that he learned from their first match, but that he won't "wait around."
- McGregor and Nurmagomedov have exchanged barbs numerous times since their explosive fight last October.
- Nurmagomedov and UFC boss Dana White have recently poured cold water on the possibilities of a rematch.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Conor McGregor told ESPN's Ariel Helwani on "SportsCenter" that if he had to choose, he thinks he will fight again this year.
McGregor has not fought since October 2018, when he lost via submission to Khabib Nurmagomedov. Both fighters were suspended after a brawl broke out in the crowd between their camps.
And he wants a rematch with Nurmagomedov.
"I want my world title back, I want that redemption," McGregor said, referring to losing his lightweight title to Nurmagomedov. "The camp was incorrect. I've learned so much on that."
However, McGregor added that he would not "wait around" for a rematch with Nurmagomedov.
Since their fight, McGregor and Nurmagomedov have exchanged barbs via social media. McGregor attacked Nurmagomedov's wife, calling her a "towel," in a tweet that was deleted and called "Islamaphobic." Nurmagomedov's camp said family and religion was off-limits in trash-talk. Nurmagomedov's manager called McGregor a "rapist" in return, referring to a police investigation into a sexual-assault allegation made against McGregor in Ireland.it would get out of hand.
UFC boss Dana White said shortly after McGregor's loss to Nurmagomedov that McGregor had called about a rematch, but noted other fighters deserved a shot at the undefeated Russian fighter.
Nurmagomedov is set to defend his title against Dustin Poirier on September 7. He has gone back and forth on a rematch with McGregor, first saying there was unfinished business since the last fight, but then saying McGregor did not deserve a rematch.
Watch a clip of McGregor's interview below: