Green crypto startup Chia Network doubles its valuation to $500 million and is mulling an IPO, report says
Chia Networkraised $61 million from investors including Andreessen Horowitz in a new funding round.
- The "green" cryptocurrency startup is now worth approximately $500 million.
ChiaNetwork is eyeing an IPO as soon as this year, but a merger with the right SPAC is also possible.
Chia Network was founded by BitTorrent creator
The San Francisco-based company raised $61 million from investors including Richmond Global Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz in its latest funding round. Breyer Capital, Slow Ventures, True Ventures, Cygni Capital, Naval Ravikant, Collab+Currency, and DHVC also participated in the round.
Chia Network's cryptocurrency, Chia, is "farmed" using the "proofs of space and time" model instead of bitcoin's energy-intensive "mining" process via the "proof of work" model.
Chia is now the largest storage-related blockchain at nearly double the size of Filecoin, according to Gene Hoffman, the company's president and chief operating officer.
Hoffman told Bloomberg this latest round of funding is "rocket fuel" that will help accelerate the company's goal to become a trading and payment system for institutions.
The COO added that he's looking to do a traditional IPO as soon as this year but said a merger with the "right" SPAC is also possible, per Bloomberg.
Bradley A. Gastwirth, Wedbush's chief technology strategist, wrote an email to clients on Tuesday discussing the Chia news.
"We see the funding round as well as the potential IPO as further solidifying Chia's pedigree and likely longevity, a result that could lead to further credibility for the currency based on proof of space," he wrote.
Chia's new method for "farming" cryptocurrency has presented its own challenges, however. Prices for hard disk drives and solid-state drives have shot up since Chia mining began to gain traction.
"As we have noted over the past several weeks, the rise of Chia has helped create a shortage of HDDs with pricing in secondary
Still, investors are bullish on Chia Network's prospects. Richmond Global Ventures managing partner David Frazee, who is set to be added to Chia Network's board, told Bloomberg, "Chia is what Bitcoin would look like if it was designed with knowledge from the last 13 years."
- India’s techies are leaving IT firms in hordes — Here’s why
- Elon Musk’s puppy, a new strategy to burn tokens, and altcoins playing catch up — the perfect storm for cryptocurrency Shiba Inu to skyrocket
- A renowned female crime novelist who won a million-euro prize in Spain turned out to be three middle-aged men
- India’s central bank imposes ₹1 crore penalty on the country’s biggest lender
- Elon Musk sparks another Shiba Inu rally ‘to the moon’ — other Shiba coins follow suit
- Amazon's campaign encourages customers to thank its associates and share their happiness with frontline teams
- Brazilians bought more than $4 billion in cryptocurrencies this year as the country looks to regulate Bitcoin
- If you are a pensioner, you can submit Jeevan Pramaan sitting at home — Here is what you need to do
- India T20 World cup Jersey
- Photo Editors Apps
- Google Pixel 6 series
- CBSE examdate sheet
- Tata Punch Price
- Punit Goenka
- Motorola Edge 20 Mobile
- Google TV stick vs Amazon Fire TV stick
- Oneplus 9rt smartphone
- Samsung Galaxy M52 review
- vodafone Idea News
- India Coal Crisis
- iPhone 13 vs iPhone 13 mini
- IRCTC Share price
- Maximum Sixes
- Tata Sons