Here's how Marine Corps mortar crews get explosive rounds to fall right on top of an enemy over 1,000 meters away
- Mortar crews can drop rounds on enemies at great distances, keeping bigger threats like light armor at bay for other Marines moving on the battlefield.
- But getting the round there is no easy task.
- During a recent visit to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton for exercise Iron Fist, Insider had the opportunity to observe and learn how 60 mm mortar teams get rounds down range.
- Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
CAMP PENDLETON, California - US Marine Corps 60 mm mortar teams can drop explosive rounds on their enemies from over 1,000 meters away, and Insider recently had the opportunity to watch them do it.
During a visit to Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Insider observed a mortar crew firing off multiple rounds using an M224 60 mm light mortar, which is a high-angle-of-fire weapon that can be drop- or trigger-fired.
The training was carried out as part of the latest iteration of Iron Fist, an exercise that involves various training evolutions leading up to a large amphibious assault.
Cpl. Kevin Rodriguez, an experienced mortarman who said he chose the mortar because he wanted to follow in his grandfather's footsteps, walked Insider through the ins and outs of firing a mortar and what it takes.
60 mm mortars are typically handled by a crew of Marines.
A lot of different considerations go into firing this weapon.
There are two different methods Marine mortar teams use to effectively target an enemy.
A mortar section usually has three guns delivering damage to a large area.
- Xiaomi Pad 5 Review - Is it best Android alternate to iPad Air?
- Mayhem Studios announces a new battle royale game with locations, gangs and other elements depicting India
- Technique used to track ants’ movement might soon help scientists in measuring snow depth from space
- Three senior Twitter employees quit amid ongoing Musk-Agrawal internet war
- Indian CEOs could get the best salary hike in 5 years; and they already make ₹7 crore/yr on an average
- Delhivery IPO
- Reliance Retail
- Indian Rupee
- Reliance JIO
- Best Deal on Smartphones
- Unacademy offline Classes
- Hubble Space
- 5G Phones Under Rs. 20000
- Disney+hotstar Subscribers
- Reliance Industries
- Venus Pipes Tubes IPO
- Matheesha Pathirana
- Adani Green
- Paradeep Phosphates balance sheet
- Spam Calls in India
- Whatsapp Reaction