Donald Trump torches Ted Cruz in new TV ad
Trump, the Republican presidential front-runner, launched his first attack ad on Friday, going Cruz for supposedly being in favor of "amnesty."
According to the Trump campaign, the new commercial featured footage of Cruz "in a confused state" during a Fox News interview, in which he was pressed about an amendment to an immigration-reform bill.
"Ted Cruz is a total hypocrite and, until recently, a Canadian citizen who may not even have a legal right to run for president," Trump said in a statement accompanying the video. (Many legal experts dispute Trump's claim about Cruz's eligibility to be president.)
Trump continued: "Had I not brought up the subject of illegal immigration, an issue which Ted Cruz is very weak on, nobody would even be talking about it. I will build a great wall, and Mexico will pay for it."
The new attack ad was only the latest salvo in an increasingly hostile back-and-forth between Trump and Cruz as the February 1 Iowa caucus approaches. On Thursday, Cruz highlighted a two-year-old Trump tweet to argue that it was Trump who supported "amnesty."
The Trump campaign said that the attack ad will run in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina.
View Trump's new ad below:
- Close-ups of footage said to show Gabby Petito's van near where a body was found appear to show the rear door closing
- Elon Musk pulled his 'last remaining house' off the market after vowing last year to get rid of nearly all his possessions
- It's never been more clear: companies should give up on back to office and let us all work remotely, permanently
- OnePlus 2.0: OxygenOS and ColorOS to merge into a unified OS starting 2022
- Here’s what experts have to say about Cadbury Dairy Milk’s latest ad that has taken the internet by storm
- The collapse of Evergrande, one of China’s largest home developers, is “not a Lehman moment” but the fear may haunt steel and metal stocks in India
- SBI Cards, Adani Ports, HCL Tech and other top stocks to watch out for on September 21
- Sansera Engineering IPO — How to check allotment status, listing date and more