Some South Carolina teachers are getting $2,500 bonuses to stop them quitting
South Carolinadistrict will give teachers $2,500 bonuses to stay for the new school year.
- Marlboro County School District said it was struggling to retain teachers during the pandemic.
- Some states have used federal funds to offer one-time bonuses to teaching staff.
Teachers in South Carolina are being handed $2,500 "thank you" bonuses as
Several states are using federal stimulus funds to pay teachers morale-boosting one-time bonuses to thank them for their work during the pandemic, the Wall Street Journal reported.
South Carolina's Marlboro Country School District announced in a July 12 board meeting that it would pay $2,500
"Retaining high-quality teachers was difficult enough before the pandemic, but post-pandemic the task has become even more challenging, especially for small districts," Dr. Gregory McCord, superintendent for Malboro district, said at the meeting, per WMBF.
"We are happy to say thank you to our returning certified classroom teachers. Although this money will not match their true worth, we do want teachers to know they are valued."
School districts in California, Colorado, Tennessee, and Texas have also signed off on one-time bonuses to teachers to help keep them in post, the Wall Street Journal reported.
The bonuses for
The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act, the massive
A survey by RAND, a policy think tank, published in June revealed that almost a quarter of US teachers were likely to quit the profession by the end of the 2021 school year, compared with one in six before the pandemic.
Schools acted quickly to move learning online at the start of the pandemic in March 2020, but teachers have said that longer hours, increased financial worries, and health concerns have made life harder.
Are you an educator with a story to share? Business Insider wants to hear from you. Contact the author of this article at firstname.lastname@example.org from a non-work email.
- Chip shortage hits new brands in tough Indian laptop market
- Petrol and diesel prices hiked again by 35 paise for fifth consecutive day across the country
- India vs Pakistan at ICC T20 World Cup: The ‘Men in Blue’ have a definite advantage in this one
- Tamil drama 'Koozhangal' is India's official entry for Oscars 2022
- ICICI Bank net profit rises 25% on lower provisions in September quarter