'Borat 2' director reveals Rudy Giuliani was the film's target from the start of production
Borat 2" director Jason Wolinertold Insider from the very start of production, it was filmmaker Sascha Baron Cohen's main goal to get Rudy Giulianion film.
- "Giuliani was the name from day one," he said. "Rudy was the name in the first version [of the script] I read."
- Woliner said what none of them planned was that Giuliani would have such a high profile when the movie was about to come out.
- He believes the footage of Giuliani in the movie helped to tarnish his credibility when he was trying to push out the claim that Hunter Biden was talking to Ukraine officials back when his father, president-elect Joe Biden, was vice president.
- "From my vantage point, it discredited anything he was trying to do," Woliner said.
In the "Borat" sequel, in which Baron Cohen returns to play the misguided Kazakhstani journalist, the movie concludes with him racing to save his daughter, Tutar (Maria Bakalova), who is planning to give herself to president Donald Trump's personal lawyer and former New York City mayor, Rudy Giuliani.
Woliner is referring to Giuliani pushing a story that then-presidential nominee Joe Biden's son, Hunter, was communicating with Ukraine officials back when his dad was vice president. The story turned out to be riddled with disinformation and questioned by many publications, including Insider, and Woliner believes the Giuliani footage in the movie also helped discredit the politician."A few days later The Guardian came out with the piece on his scene in the movie and that just blew up," he said. "And from my vantage point, it discredited anything he was trying to do." Baron Cohen has said that his intention with releasing "Borat 2" around the presidential election was to show Americans what four years of Trump as president has done to the country. So, if Woliner's theory is correct: mission accomplished.
"Borat Subsequent Moviefilm" is available now on Amazon Prime Video.
- Cannes Lions 2021: On Day 3, Dentsu Webchutney brings home 2 Silver Lions
- Best laptop for students in India in 2021
- Twitter rolls out new update for iOS allowing users to share tweets to Instagram stories
- If you are vaccinated, IndiGo Airlines is giving discounts on airfares
- Microsoft joins Apple in $2 Trillion Club