Marvel's first Asian lead Simu Liu said he 'nearly cried' when he first put on his 'Shang-Chi' superhero suit
- In an interview with Toronto Life, "
Shang-Chi" actor Simu Liusaid he "nearly cried" when he first put on his superhero suit.
- Liu said it was an "impactful moment" for him as
Marvel's first-ever Asian lead, and said it meant a lot to him and "for people who look like [him]."
Simu Liu said he nearly cried when he first put on his "Shang-Chi" superhero suit because it was such an "impactful moment" as Marvel's first-ever Asian lead.
Liu was speaking to Toronto Life ahead of season five of "Kim's Convenience," and spoke about transitioning into a leading superhero with his upcoming
Marvel has made a conscious push to ensure that greater representation is present in their movies, which began with their first-ever Black lead in Chadwick Boseman as the titular "Black Panther" in 2018. This was followed by Marvel's first-ever female lead with Brie Larson as Carol Danvers in 2019's "Captain Marvel," and Scarlett Johansson finally gets her own solo movie with the upcoming "Black Widow." Meanwhile, "The Eternals" will feature a gay superhero for the first time in any Marvel movie."Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings" will follow in those footsteps and feature a predominantly Asian cast including Awkafina, Michelle Yeoh, Ronny Chieng, and Tony Leung.
In the same interview, Liu boldly claimed that his character could defeat Iron Man, the Hulk, and the Black-Widow, and joked about how he landed the role of Shang-Chi - by tweeting Marvel.Liu said: "In December of 2018, I was coming off my third season of 'Kim's Convenience,' where I play Jung, and I was thinking I was all hot stuff. The news had just dropped that Marvel was casting for 'Shang-Chi,' and I facetiously tweeted at them, 'Hey, are we going to talk or what?' I didn't have any expectations."
- TTD approves Rs 2,938-crore budget for 2021-22
- Wholesale growth expected to continue for tractors, passenger vehicles and two-wheelers, says equity research firm Emkay
- Centre finalises One District One Focus Product to promote in cluster approach
- A Mumbai-based EV startup launched the cheapest electric car with a 200 km range
- HP's worldwide shipments grow 5.6% in fourth quarter of 2020, says IDC