Stockard Channing calls Olivia Newton-John 'the essence of summer' in a heartfelt tribute after her 'Grease' costar's death
- Stockard Channing paid tribute to her late "Grease" costar Olivia Newton-John in a new statement.
- "I will miss her enormously," Channing, who played Rizzo in the musical film, said to People.
Stockard Channing paid tribute to her late "Grease" costar Olivia Newton-John with a heartfelt statement to People on Monday.
"I don't know if I've known a lovelier human being," Channing said in her statement.
"Olivia was the essence of summer — her sunniness, her warmth and her grace are what always come to mind when I think of her," the "West Wing" actress continued. "I will miss her enormously."
Channing played rebellious Pink Lady Betty Rizzo in the 1978 hit musical film, while Newton-John played Sandy Olsson, a straight-laced Australian transfer student.
Newton-John died on Monday at the age of 73 after a decades-long battle with metastatic breast cancer.
The "Physical" singer was diagnosed with breast cancer in 1992 and said that her treatment lasted for almost one year. Her cancer returned in 2013, but the actress didn't reveal the news publicly. Four years later, Newton-John said that her breast cancer returned and it metastasized to her lower back.
Channing isn't the only one of Newton-John's former costars to pay tribute to the late actress. John Travolta, who played Sandy's love interest Danny Zuko in "Grease," called Newton-John's impact "incredible" shortly after news of her death broke.
"My dearest Olivia, you made all of our lives so much better. Your impact was incredible," Travolta wrote on Instagram, alongside an old photo of Newton-John. "I love you so much. We will see you down the road and we will all be together again. Yours from the moment I saw you and forever!"
He signed the post: "Your Danny, your John!"
- Richard Branson's rocket company Virgin Orbit lays off 85% of workforce
- Indian-American Ajay Banga sole nominee to lead World Bank
- Sensex, Nifty50 likely to open on a weak note despite positive global cues: Reliance Industries, JSW Energy, Hero MotoCorp among stocks in focus
- Data you share with ChatGPT is not private: So be careful with what you reveal
- IPO demand may pick up in the second half of FY24 after macro headwinds settle