Supermodel Bar Refaeli has been sentenced to 9 months of community service after evading paying millions in tax
- Israeli supermodel
Bar Refaeliwas sentenced to 9 months community service, while her mother was handed a 16-month prison sentence for tax evasion.
- Refaeli pleaded guilty to tax evasion under a plea bargain, per Reuters.
- Authorities accused Refaeli and her mother of evading taxes on income of around $7.2 million. The pair were also fined.
Israeli supermodel Bar Refaeli has been sentenced to 9 months of community service for tax evasion, ending a long-running and high-profile case in her home country.
Refaeli's mother and agent Tzipi was handed an 18-month prison sentence.
Authorities accused the pair of evading paying tax on around $7.2 million in earnings by lying about where the supermodel lived.
Under a plea bargain accepted by prosecutors, the two will also have to cough up a collective $1.4 million in fines and the back taxes. Per Haaretz, the agreement aims to settle all criminal and civil charges against the supermodel, who will withdraw her tax appeals filed with the Israeli Supreme Court and the Tel Aviv District Court.
The case covers a period when Refaeli was in a relationship with Leonardo DiCaprio and frequently traveling around the world for modeling campaigns.
Refaeli's attorneys argued that she did not have to pay Israeli taxes on her income between 2009 and 2012 because she was living overseas in the US, and that DiCaprio's home was her residence.
Prosecutors argued that Refaeli's mother aided her daughter and helped blur her residency status by leasing her luxury homes in
Refaeli is now married to Israeli businessman Adi Ezra. When the plea bargain became public news in June, her lawyers said it proved the model didn't intentionally evade tax.
"In the relevant time period, Bar was in her early 20s, was working as an international model and was not involved in financial matters," they said at the time, Sky News reported. "Today she is taking responsibility for mistakes that were made."
- 'Texting between iPhone and Android is broken:' Google puts Apple on blast for converting Android texts to green bubbles and 'blurry' compressed videos
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 beta arrives next month – here’s how to get early access
- Indian diamantaires want to make lab-grown diamonds a woman’s best friend
- OPINION: World Biofuel Day — Can biofuel help sustainably meet the growing energy needs of India?
- Kotak Mahindra rolls out a lifestyle focused salary account
- Trading on Indian crypto exchange WazirX drops by over 55%, WRX token loses sheen
- Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4, Z Flip 4, Watch 5 series, and Buds 2 Pro launched: Check price, specifications and photos
- Will Aamir Khan’s Laal Singh Chaddha be the box of chocolates Bollywood is waiting for?